Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: binfordm715 : HELP!!! I'm in turn signal hell

Default binfordm715 : HELP!!! I'm in turn signal hell

HELP!!! I'm in turn signal hell
    Post by binfordm715 on Apr 30, 2006, 2:06pm

My M715 did not have the old distribution box, so my starting point is a little muddled here.

I am installing the solid state harness setup I got from Star Electric. Here are the terminals I have to work with from them:

3-wire screw-in connector to black box mounted on firewall.
    22/460
    22/461
    460/461
    79 (short wire ending in a ring terminal)

That's what I have to work with on the new turn signal harness.

Here's where the manual says they go:

D -- 22
    E -- 22/460
    C -- 22/461
    A -- 460
    B -- 461
    G -- 460/461
    79 -- Fuel sending unit chassis ground

Fine, but I am missing several of those lettered terminals! What I have to work with on the truck harness are:

B
    E
    J
    K
    L
    unlabeled wire going into truck harness (it was fused on the monkey setup I had in there [sorry, X], so it might be A?)

Any ideas, gang?

Default binfordm715 :

Re: HELP!!! I'm in turn signal hell
    Post by binfordm715 on Apr 30, 2006, 6:03pm

Mmmm..k here's what I've done. I hooked them up near as original as I could figure. It is wired like this:

B -- 22
    E -- 22/460
    L -- 22/461
    K -- 460
    J -- 461
    24V hot lead to 460/461

And here's what happens when I flip switches:

Right turn switch makes both rear lights flash.
    Left turn switch makes both front lights flash.
    Brakes don't work no matter what.
    Parking lights work properly.
    Hazard option on this new solid state turn signal switch unit works--all 4 lights flash.

I sure hope this answer is obvious to someone, because it sure isn't to me! I need to take a break from it.

Thanks for any help.....

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Apr 30, 2006, 7:05pm

looks like you have brakes plugged into right turn, parks plugged into left turn and nothing tied to the brake lights.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Apr 30, 2006, 7:40pm

Did you hook up that ring terminal to ground? That is your ground wire and is very much needed.
    22 is your stop light.
    460 is left turn
    461 is right turn.
    So 22 goes to your stop light circuit.
    22/460 is your left turn rear turn signal
    22/461 is your right rear turn signal
    460 is your front left turn signal
    461 is your right front turn signal
    460/461 is the trun signal feed.
    79 is Ground!

What you need to do my friend is some dective work with a VOM or circuit tester. You need to trace B E J K L to see were each is going. That way you'll find out if B=22 L=79 etc.
    Wish I could give you more detail, but if I had the same puzzle as you that is what I would do. This way you will know it's hooked up correctly or as close as possible.

Good luck.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Apr 30, 2006, 9:07pm

Yes, #79 is connected to a good ground. Forgot to mention that, sorry. I also have a couple wires passing through a circuit breaker from the brake switch. It would work before with the old turn signal switch (though only after I'd signalled a right turn!) I'll investigate more tomorrow. But I think that's an issue separate from the goofy turn signals.

So it looks like I'm somehow getting the 460s and 461s crossed up. Hmmm.....

I drove the M715 up the road with a couple of my neighbors and all our sons, putting a bunch of crushed rock in the bed of the truck to fill potholes along our road. (Developers up our road were "kind" enough to redo our road--no crown ["Sorry, county said we couldn't crown it,"] so pothole filling is becoming quite a past time for us.) Anyway, afterward we hung around, King of the Hill-style, drinking beer. So I'm no good for anything electrical now! And it'll be dark before I am.

And Joe, I really didn't feel like trying to figure out where all those lettered wires go. Not if someone has already worked it out! I'll do it if I have to, of course, but I figured it would be wise to not reinvent the wheel if someone already had it documented.

Put my new 3-lever switch in today too. I don't think there was anything wrong with my original one, but just in case that was part of the problem, I got a new one.

Anyway tomorrow is turn-signals-and-brake-lights-work day! God willing......

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on Apr 30, 2006, 11:37pm

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check that the wiring harness is good. I spent hours trying to make mine right until I tested continuity from the cab to the taillights. Turned out that one wire would power 3/4's of the rear harness! That's why my electrical system looks like it's direct from the fire department.
    I keep telling myself the mechanical stuff comes first, then wiring, then the body work. Who knows when it'll get done though.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 1, 2006, 12:34am

I'd already checked for continuity before I gave up on the stock turn signal switch in favor of the new solid state one.

For me, it's fix the turn signals/brake lights; then rebuild the carburetor; then set the timing (so I delete "turn key off, put vehicle in 2nd gear, let off clutch slowly" from the shut-down procedure!); then I can start on the prep for painting. Once I start driving it regularly, I'm sure I'll find more stuff that needs to be fixed....

Default amphi :

Post by amphi on May 1, 2006, 8:38am

Tim,

Put it on your new trailer, bring it down here, and we’ll do it all except paint. Could even set the rocker clearances. Half a day ---- max.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 1, 2006, 8:41am

I did this page as I did the conversion...I know these wire hokups to be correct:

http://www.m715zone.com/manuals/techpgs/turn_convert/

The wires you need to play with to hook to the new setup are as follows:

The wiring needs to be connected as follows:

ORIGINAL WIRE____NEW HARNESS WIRE_____PURPOSE
    A________________460/461______________Power from 3 lever light switch to flasher box & turn signal switch
    B________________22___________________Brake light signal from brake light switch
    E________________22/460_______________Signal direct to the Right Rear Turn Signal
    K________________22/461_______________Signal direct to the Left Rear Turn Signal
    J________________460__________________Signal direct to the Right Front Turn Signal
    L________________461__________________Signal direct to the Left Front Turn Signal

And of course the ground wire.

NOTE: I havenet had time to actually read all the above, so I may need to make further comments on you, as I remember, cobbled wiring....

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 1, 2006, 9:25am

I think that may do it, Brute!

Looks like I have K, J and L mixed up. I'll report back a little later this morning after I bring Nick to school.

Thanks!