Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: maddawg308 : Flying lock rings off the rims

Default treepusher :

Re: Flying lock rings off the rims
    Post by treepusher on Aug 11, 2006, 9:15pm

Something I didn't mention is that I smeered all with Murphy's oil soap to get a better, even, bead position when inflating. Just make sure to double check the lock ring before inflating and every 5 pounds while filling. Prefilling the tube in the tire before dropping in the wheel will help prevent sudden pressure changes as the tube unfolds. It ain't rocket science, It has been done millions of times by newbees at old time truck shops. Just don't do while stupid.

Default fivequarter :

Re: Flying lock rings off the rims
    Post by fivequarter on Aug 12, 2006, 2:57pm

Not having had to work on split rims since I was young and dumb, the only things I can think of to add is to be sure to avoid springing the ring during disassembly or reassembly. Inspect the locking surfaces for foreign matter that may prevent a solid lockup. Before airing up, visually inspect the entire circumference of the ring for a good fit. Make sure the ring can not escape in event of failure as has been discussed earlier. At the service station I used to work at, we didn't have a cage. We placed the tire under one arm of the lift when airing up.

Similar Threads

1. Potentially Stupid Question: Spicer Hub O-rings
    By Mudog715 in forum Modified Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 26th, 2009, 05:59 AM
  2. maddawg308 : Tubeless tires on M715 rims?
    By PseudoZone in forum PseudoZone - Open Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 12th, 2009, 01:19 AM
  3. Who was making the aluminum tail light rings?
    By Binford in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: June 19th, 2008, 11:57 PM
  4. Split rims and Lock rings
    By kwai in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM