Thread: Valve Cover Gasket

Default Valve Cover Gasket

Does the valve cover gasket need to be replaced each time the cover is removed? The reason that I ask is I replaced it with a brand new one only a month or two ago with a new one, but now I need to remove the cover again. From what I found they are a bit pricey, and I'm wondering if a replacement is recommended/necessary.

I was able to reuse mine...after about 6 months...as long as its not cracked up or broken, I would.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    I was able to reuse mine...after about 6 months...as long as its not cracked up or broken, I would.
    Good to know. Thanks!

As others have said, if you put a new (not NOS) valve cover gasket on your truck recently, it should be reusable. But be careful, do NOT tighten it down too much. That is the major cause of leaks.

We had a motor pool sergeant in Germany who was always griping about guys tightening them down too much. Look at the brackets that are under the nuts on the top of the valve cover. They should still look original and not be bulged or bent from excessive tightening.

BTW if you can find a new gasket, they are around $40 so if you are able to reuse yous, you are ahead of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    As others have said, if you put a new (not NOS) valve cover gasket on your truck recently, it should be reusable. But be careful, do NOT tighten it down too much. That is the major cause of leaks.

We had a motor pool sergeant in Germany who was always griping about guys tightening them down too much. Look at the brackets that are under the nuts on the top of the valve cover. They should still look original and not be bulged or bent from excessive tightening.
    I get reminded of this every time that I lift the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    BTW if you can find a new gasket, they are around $40 so if you are able to reuse yous, you are ahead of the game.
    walcks4wd.com has good quality, seamless gaskets. The one I bought at Memphis Equipment had a glue joint in it, which came apart after a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    walcks4wd.com has good quality, seamless gaskets. The one I bought at Memphis Equipment had a glue joint in it, which came apart after a couple months.
    No affiliation with them and the price seems reasonable...

https://walcks4wd.com/valve-cover-ga...m-tornado.html

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    I get reminded of this every time that I lift the hood.

Do I remember that...