Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing a coil

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, coils are a problem because we can't seem to get quality ones anymore. When I see a coil that's chrome plated, I know we have problems. Is their anywhere to get new quality coils for our trucks? Is their a coil out there that can replace the original?
    I am with you exactly and completely. Those chrome plated coils are most likely Sino and rubbish. I paid $60.00 for a used one and it was great. I think that the six cylinder coils are the same.

Default Coil test

ok...lets beat this horse dead again...my m715 was running rough....changed spark plugs, rebuilt carb, removed the points and added the pertronix mv-161A. So my question is... is that the correct ignition? depending where you look it says 24v ground others say 12v. tested my coil and got these numbers.... (by the way when I reinstalled everything it would not start) primary resistance is 5.5 ohms and secondary is 14380 ... the range they say is 4.26 - 4.9 and 12090 - 13910, so does this mean my coil is bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Corypheaus View Post
    ok...lets beat this horse dead againby the way when I reinstalled everything it would not start) primary resistance is 5.5 ohms and secondary is 14380 ... the range they say is 4.26 - 4.9 and 12090 - 13910, so does this mean my coil is bad?
    If you have military wires, it is difficult to check for spark unless you take a spare spark plug, connect the wire to it (instead of an installed plug) and get someone to crank the engine. You should get a healthy blue spark between the electrodes.

However, (disclaimer coming ) I have the stock ignitor, points, condenser etc. So I have no experience with the Pertronix. But those numbers that you tested are close enough for the coil to work. Your multimeter may be not as accurate as they used with the original test.

Big question, is the coil chrome plated?

ok...lets beat this horse dead again...my m715 was running rough....changed spark plugs, rebuilt carb, removed the points and added the pertronix mv-161A. So my question is... is that the correct ignition? depending where you look it says 24v ground others say 12v. tested my coil and got these numbers.... (by the way when I reinstalled everything it would not start) primary resistance is 5.5 ohms and secondary is 14380 ... the range they say is 4.26 - 4.9 and 12090 - 13910, so does this mean my coil is bad?

Pertronix MV161A is the correct unit for 24 volt six cylinder engines.

As for the coils. I had three good, working coils to choose from (one used, and two NOS in their original boxes).
    Only one had the recommended primary resistance required by Pertronix, so I used it. Not sure what would happen if I used one of the other coils that were out of Pertronx specs.
    Last edited by jeepdan; November 29th, 2017 at 08:43 PM.

No it is not chrome plated, it is the original coil.

I have the old plugs guess i could test with one of those

Would you happen to know what the numbers are from pertronix? The range for the coil?

open the points with power to the positive . then short the negative side of the coil it should spark every time it is shorted.

No points, electronic conversion

just jump the coil standing alone.

Yikes! The infamous coil problem. I've had my share as the past posts have shown. My truck started bucking furiously while I was driving it. It eventually got to the point where it wouldn't start at all. Had to order one of the Chinese coils again! While I was waiting for it to arrive, I installed the Pertronix ignition system. Put in the new coil and she fired up quicker than ever before. I'm a stock guy, but this ignition system is simple and works great in my opinion. Truck has been running great so far. Just not sure how long this coil is going to last. Not sure why they fail so frequently either. Could it be because of poor materials used in them? They're simple devices with not a lot of work asked of them. Hope you get your truck running smoothly again. Good luck.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

No it is not chrome plated, it is the original coil.

I have the old plugs guess i could test with one of those

Would you happen to know what the numbers are from pertronix? The range for the coil?
    I still have the Pertronix instruction sheet in the garage.
    I will find it, and post the recommend coil resistance tomorrow.