Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: binfordm715 : Soft-top mount on windshield

Default elwenil :

Re: Soft-top mount on windshield
    Post by elwenil on May 13, 2006, 7:15am

Post something up in the wanted section. I'm sure someone has a junk windshield frame laying around that they could knock the channel off and send it to you. I'd do it, but I gave my old frame to Warwick.

Default beast :

Post by beast on May 13, 2006, 9:04am

I did some measuring and the best top channel is out. Way too small. But you could use a piece of 5/8" tubing with an .083" wall which would leave you .459" inner dia. You would then need to cut the slot into it. You could use a cut off wheel or something similar to make the cut. Then weld it back on to the windshield frame. If you can't find tubing local to you, you can check out www.chassisshop.com on thier tubing page it has it listed. They can ship tubing anywhere. They are the shop next to mine if you need me to get you anything.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 13, 2006, 9:53am

Thanks! I'm going to check an RV shop first. Seems they attach awnings and such to the sides of campers pretty much the same way. It's just a matter of whether they will have something that will fit. Hopefully Socal will get me some measurements of his channel.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on May 13, 2006, 9:06pm

Tim....sigh....take the advise given above and get a new windshield. It is not going to be worth the hasle of trying to remake the channel and besides your molding on the glass doesn't look to good. I bet if you take a close look at your windshield you'll find other problems that a new windshield will fix.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 13, 2006, 11:51pm

Molding isn't bad. Just has a lot of overspray on it. Besides, I'm way too cheap, dude.....

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on May 14, 2006, 7:23am

Looks to me like you need a new frame. Not only is the soft top rail missing but you have holes drilled all along the top of the frame.

What is the intent here? If it is restoration ... you need a new frame. If you just want a soft top then you could just bolt a bikini top to it. In the holes already provided.

if it was me .... I'd get a new frame.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 14, 2006, 9:20am

Holes drilled would fall under the top material, with the possible exception of the holes on the very ends.

Not a restoration, just cleaning it up. And a soft top and bikini top are not the same!

If a new frame were readily available, I'd go for it. But with the weight of that sucker, and the glass to contend with (either ship it and hope it doesn't break, or swap this glass in and hope it doesn't break; then end up breaking it and having to get new glass.....), I think I'll just do a little work on this one!

Gentlemen..... Have ye really so little faith in the Tool Man?!?!

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 14, 2006, 2:46pm

OK...maybe this is too late or too much info...whatever...

The stock top channel is a metal U with the opening at the bottom with a narrower opening in the U than the interior size of the U. To get the smaller opening, small approx. 45 degree angle "flaps" are bent on the channel.

Heres the measures:

The top of the channel, or bottom of the U, is 19/32nds inch wide on the outside...this is how far the channel sticks out from the windshield frame.

The height of the channel, the side of the U, is 17/32nds inch on the outside.

On the inside of the U, in either direction, it is 7/16ths inch NOT COUNTING the "flaps.

The opening at the bottom of the channel, the top of the U, is 3/16ths inch.

The roughly 45 degree flaps start at 11/32nds inch down the sides, 3/16ths from the end of the 17/32nds sides.

That should answer the question as to size...except the length across the truck, which is 50 inches.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 14, 2006, 11:07pm

Wow! Thanks, Jon.

I took a look at Socal's last Thursday when we met for dinner, though I'd have looked harder had I known I'd need one! So I have a pretty good idea of what you're describing. Thanks!

Essentially all I need to find is a 50" long piece of square awning mounting channel or such with rougly 7/16" to 1/2" interior space and about a 3/16" opening for the canvas to exit. Bueno!

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on May 15, 2006, 7:57am

From my experience with a similar situation of a bootyfab hard top butchering my windshield frame: Mine was terribly rusty with a fogged windshield and a totally dry rotted gasket. $100 and a nice ride to Barry's got me a nice, perfect, used frame wedged in the backseat of my car, $114 got me a brand new piece of glass cut at the local shop, and $18 got me a new gasket from JC Whipme. It looks a little thinner than the factory one, but it works perfect and gives it a nice new look.