Thread: question on hood mounted air cleaner and governor

Default question on hood mounted air cleaner and governor

My truck came with a hood mounted air cleaner but it is missing parts such as the hose from the air cleaner to the carburetor air horn, and end cap on the filter housing and im sure other parts I have not noticed yet. Looking at installation instructions for governor and air cleaner kit 5704067 (19207) I have questions. Is this a preferred set up as compared to the carburetor mounted air cleaner and do most people want a governor or can you install this air cleaner kit without the governor parts? I'm almost certain my truck doesn't have most of the small hoses shown on the installation instructions for this kit.

I just know I have missing parts and am trying to understand the best way to get it put back together properly.

Thank you,

Some people have removed he governor plate. Others have removed he butterfly so the spacer is still there. The carbureted mounted air filter will not let the hood close if the spacer is still installed.

How stock do you want the truck to end up is what it comes down to?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    How stock do you want the truck to end up is what it comes down to?
    That pretty much sums it up.

That said, one would think that the earlier setup ( carb mounted air cleaner, without governor) would offer less restriction for better engine power.

If you buy a carb mounted air cleaner, be aware that the rubber crankcase ventilation hose that connects to the bottom of the earlier air cleaner is tough to find.
    And the hood mounted version doesn't interchange.

I like the looks of the hood mounted military style air cleaner.
    And changed mine over using one of these NOS kits from Saturn Surplus.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M715-M725-N...UAAOSwDk5UKtq6

It includes every thing, down to every little shiny screw and correct hose, and are an incredible deal on ebay.

The kits must have been produced for retrofitting earlier trucks to add a governor, keeping young GIs like Don Cavey, from pegging the speedometer needle.
    Last edited by jeepdan; December 13th, 2017 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    That pretty much sums it up.

That said, one would think that the earlier setup ( carb mounted air cleaner, without governor) would offer less restriction for better engine power.

If you buy a carb mounted air cleaner, be aware that the rubber crankcase ventilation hose that connects to the bottom of the earlier air cleaner is tough to find.
    And the hood mounted version doesn't interchange.

I like the looks of the hood mounted military style air cleaner.
    And changed mine over using one of these NOS kits from Saturn Surplus.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M715-M725-N...UAAOSwDk5UKtq6

It includes every thing, down to every little shiny screw and correct hose, and are an incredible deal on ebay.

The kits must have been produced for retrofitting earlier trucks to add a governor, keeping young GIs like Don Cavey, from pegging the speedometer needle.
    That is the kit I was looking at and it seemed like a good price. I also like the look of the under hood filter and with the likelihood of me missing a lot of parts presently it seems like a good avenue to go. I plan to work out the bugs and keep stock motor and drivetrain to be able to drive and enjoy the truck with my son. He is 15 and wants to help get it on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayyj View Post
    That is the kit I was looking at and it seemed like a good price. I also like the look of the under hood filter and with the likelihood of me missing a lot of parts presently it seems like a good avenue to go. I plan to work out the bugs and keep stock motor and drivetrain to be able to drive and enjoy the truck with my son. He is 15 and wants to help get it on the road.
    That will be a great father and son project

I'm also happy to hear of your desire to keep it stock.

Please don't hesitate to ask plenty of questions along the way.

And pictures! We love pictures. Please post pictures of the truck, and it's progress.

This is as it sits right now

There are a few areas of rust but overall it doesn't seem too bad.

This is a pretty rotten area of the bed over top of the fuel tank support. I will have to cut this out and replace it.

Memphis was great to work with for obtaining this patch section so I should be good to go.

The front grill support is pretty rotten along the bottom so I didn't see much option but to find a replacement.

I have this as a replacement.