Thread: Loaded '715 and towing the M101 as well

Default Loaded '715 and towing the M101 as well

Now that I have new brakes and lights I got to drive the '715 in the real world. Boy, going up long hills really shows you how underpowered that 230 is even with the 2 barrel carb and civvy distributor. My goal, when the truck is fully restored, is to mount my 318 shelter (AN/GRC-142) on the back and tow the M101 generator trailer as well. I can't imagine, at this point, how that will go since adding 1,800# of shelter plus a trailer will really tax the stock engine and brakes. We did all that in the Army but as platoon leader I was not driving so don't remember any problems being reported. In convoy, we rarely did more then 35mph.

Anyone out there have any comments on adding that kind of load and trailering as well?

You really won't be able to tell much of a difference in performance besides the fact that these trucks ride soooo smooth with a full load on them. I had a 1979 Cadillac Fleetwood 4dr on my 2,000 pound car trailer behind the stock powered M715. I could hit 55 down hill and 30 in 3rd gear uphill. Civilian ignition and stock carb were the only modifications. Really wasn't that much different except for the really long hills than driving it around empty. I have trailer brakes and the controller too, so stopping was actually better than empty.

For what you are suggesting, I would recommend a diesel engine and overdrive transmission along with 11.00-16 Michelin tires. Lockout hubs wouldn't hurt and that is it unless you want to cruise faster than about 55 mph. Then you need to change out the t-case.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Here is a picture of mine pretty well loaded at just under 10,000lbs gross with pump, tank, hose real, 260 gallons of water, and extras.

230 with stock carburetor and 12v civi ignition. It goes down the road at 45mph just fine but have to down shift on up-hill grades. It stops real well with a vacuum brake booster. It could use more power but it gets me where I'm going. I drive it a lot – and it's a hoot.

After I purchased it, I had to drive it over a mountain pass to get it home. Took longer than usual but I got here with it.

I passed this semi on the hills and he passed me on the level and downhill. We swapped the lead about four times.

Not sure about towing

If this is more than a once in a while thing for shows, I would get a bigger motor and regear (or replace) the axles. Otherwise, you will get run over by somebody doing 70.

I should make it clear that I usually don't drive around with a full load of water at over 2,100lbs extra but I did after the recent flood here.

I'm still over 7,000lbs empty with the cast iron pump, 15hp cast briggs engine, steel tank, hose, and reel.

My plan is just shows and parades. The most distant show is 90 miles. I am considering regearing also as 45 mph will get you killed on the interstates here. Any gearing suggestions? Not much out there it seems. I did check Randy's Ring and Pinion and if I remember they had one or two ratios available. What kind of project is changing the ring and pinion in these?

Talk to Grantshire. He had posted that he might swap a D60/14Bolt set up in his truck....The Big Cheese has a freshened rear axle with 4.56's. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    My plan is just shows and parades. The most distant show is 90 miles. I am considering regearing also as 45 mph will get you killed on the interstates here.
    What's wrong with a 2-hour trip at 45mph once a year or so? You'll be attracting so much attention with the truck anyway, this way you'd get even more!

Another consideration: If you think the 230 is underpowered now, wait til you regear it!
    -- Tim Taylor

I agree about the 45 MPH trips and was also thinking that regearing would put a crimp on the up and down driving here. We live in hill and mountain country so the 5.87 may be necesary with the shelter load and trailer. Yes, just driving a bit locally attracts alot of attention. My wife followed me to a friends house so he could do weld my new rocker panels in place and she said alot of drivers were twisting around to get a look after I passed.