Thread: Another NP205 Thread

Default Another NP205 Thread

I started installing the IH NP205 my buddy gave me. On the left side, I cut the IH top mount just past the bolt holes, gave it a little 'pie cut' to remove some of the arch to get the frame mounts level instead of at a 45 degree drop.

The right side will be a cleaned up version of what you see in the pics. I took the factory IH bolt on L-brackets and welded them to the frame. The plate mount rests on top.

Everything is just tacked in for now. All of the brackets will get the rough edges cleaned up before final assembly. Cab floor clearance is not an issue.

That will work, however, I have wide experience with 4x4 IHs, and they really like to tear up T-case mounts. The crappy little rubber bushings fail, everything starts to flop around under there, and the big "crossmember" cracks, or the bolts pull through the mounts. Crossmember is in quotes, since it really isn't one at all, at least not in the sense that it adds strength to the frame. I added a strut from the bottom of my T-case forward to my transmission to help prevent flop under load. I figure by bolting it to the tranny and not the frame the entire thing is still isolated to prevent vibration.

Dave

I ditched My IH top mount, couldn't make it fit without hitting the cab. It's pretty easy to use the stock 200 mounts and fab a little to make them work with the IH t case. Oh and yes there were cracks in the IH top mount.

I plan of building up the top mount and running better bushings. There is plenty of cab floor clearance.

If you don't mind, could you let me know what you end up using for bushings? I have a good supply of stock IH ones, but I would like to upgrade to something better. I had been thinking about researching this, but if you are going to do it, less work for me! Just kidding. If I get it done before I hear anything, I will post up here.

Dave

I have generic mounts from Energy suspension. They look alot like the body mounts...which look alot like the stock t.case mounts. I don't remember the part numbers.

psst, psst Mike, all the paint fell off the mini in the background...

No it didn't. I counted 6 coats of paint, each one a different color, several million cleverly hidden sins....not one of them 'fell' off. Gallons of aircraft stripper.