Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Box leak......

Default Steering Box leak......

Got a small leak from the steering box.....how do you check the level of fluid or fill it?.....I've looked at it and don't see any obvious fill location.....would like to change the fluid to JD Cornhead Grease to stop the leak....thanks for any insight....Kevin
    1968 M-715 Ex-Brush Truck

The -34 manual says the fill hole is on the top. The lube order TM says it takes 1 pint of 80 or 90 weight gear oil and to fill it up to the fill hole. The -34 also shows you where the seals are and tells you how to take it apart to repair.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    The -34 manual says the fill hole is on the top. The lube order TM says it takes 1 pint of 80 or 90 weight gear oil and to fill it up to the fill hole. The -34 also shows you where the seals are and tells you how to take it apart to repair.
    Tim, are those seals still available? Ive seen the NOS steering gears, but haven't payed attention to see if the seals are out there. Mine has a slow drip. I have not decided for sure if I will add PS or not, but wouldn't mind getting rid of that drip
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Glad this question was asked and discussed. I wasn't sure where to check or fill fluid on the stock steering box either.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Bottom line is I need a service manual!!....looks like access to the top is very limited visually...I'll check it out better today....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M715 View Post
    Bottom line is I need a service manual!!
    Go to the top of any page on this forum, click your mouse over "Online Maintenance Manuals", and you'll have your service manual.

Thanks!....can you tell I'm new to the site?....

Save your money. I've had some trucks that leaked some, just kept a section of old garden hose to pour some gear oil into the hole. You can take the hole cover plug off from the engine side. It is a lot harder to reach if you have an oversize radiator.

What if u poured something like rear main seal repair in it.

If you have just a drip. Pour just a little bit of DOT 3 brake fluid in there. It will cause the rubber seal to swell.

Something I found on my Gasser M35 which sat for almost 30 years before I got it. It isn't always the seals. Sometimes it is the metal with surface rust. Jack up the front end and have your youngest kid turn the wheel lock to lock for as long as they maintain interest. That might be enough to clean up the seal surface.

I took my Gasser M35 on a few 30-60 mile drives before I had to go on a 240 mile round trip motor home recovery. About 50 miles into that drive I stopped to just check things out. Gear oil all over the passenger side rear of the truck and axles. The front yoke for front axle from the tcase was leaking like crazy. A pint topped it off so I figured it will leak the same continuing or going back home. By the time I got to where I had to be, it was not leaking anymore. Hasn't since either.

Just for your reading comedy, here is the motor home recovery thread:

Kwai Saves the Day!
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw