Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M715 on Barrett Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    Older buyers who want the nolstagia of OEM are simply no longer buying but shedding their vehicles. (67+ years of age is when owners start shedding their collections... not buying more) [Hemmings]
    Very true about vehicles and collectibles as a whole. We are shedding things for a few reasons; our farm land has been contracted by a developer and even if that was not happening, its getting too hard to maintain and drive the older vehicles. We also want to downsize and you just can't find a house that has doors and garages to accept these trucks.

At the big Aberdeen military truck show every year the place is full of us grey hairs. No and I mean no younger folks are there. Many hobbies are dying. Even old clubs like the Legion and VFW are closing here because not enough members to keep it up. No offense to the younger folks here but if it isn't on a phone, its isn't!
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    At the big Aberdeen military truck show every year the place is full of us grey hairs. No and I mean no younger folks are there. Many hobbies are dying. No offense to the younger folks here but if it isn't on a phone, its isn't!
    This isn't strictly limited to classic OEM configured army vehicles... classic car industry as a whole is going this way.... but even bigger picture....

Harley Davidson - has failed to bring in their younger riders (average age is now knocking on 49 years old) [Yup from 42.1 in 1999]

Hunting - Up until recently it was on a major decline but has leveled off in Registrations/New Hunter Certs [fishing has remained steady surprisingly]

Trades - Majority of journeymen across the spectrum of trades is a grey hair... My guess is the simple demand and then consequent salary will eventually close up this gap.... In the mean time expect a simple plumbing visit to be $200+ for 20 min - hour of service.

Only thing constant is change
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    The highest value to date was a full Resto-Mod M715. Barrett Jackson last year... $32,000 for an LS-swap, modern axle, 4 wheel disc, PS, PB.

[I mean this in the best way possible] My guess is the "owners who want it stock" are starting to actually shed their OEM's.... New owners want the vehicle history.. but want to drive it with modern comforts.

Same thing happened to 50's cars where they fell flat when original OEM spec'd car owners started dieing off/selling their collections....

Stock M715's in appearance and powertrain have a 11-17k track run on Barret and Mecum...

My stock appearing but axle swapped, fuel tank relocated, power 4 wheel disc, modern axle, power steering, hydroboosted brakes, cummins turbo diesel, 5 speed OD manual I'd expect to bring $22-30k+ at auction. [powdercoated frame, repainted OD etc].

OEM trends just are NOT bringing that kind of money... [whatever side of the fence your on... selling prices are selling prices and are indicative of demand] Too many younger guys don't want to buy manual brakes, manual steering with a constant upkeep motor. Older buyers who want the nolstagia of OEM are simply no longer buying but shedding their vehicles. (67+ years of age is when owners start shedding their collections... not buying more) [Hemmings]

Lots of stuff going on here. This is something I have noticed for years. One generation likes stuff the way it was and the next wants it their way.

Baby boomers wanted muscle cars with a little cam and a set of torque thrust mags, now everyone wants a pro-touring machine with AC and a quiet LS turbo swap.

Everything evolves ...

As for our M715s they sure do seem to be a little more ... popular when they are restified with modern power and newer axles, brakes and such.
    The guys who are building them now are simply not emotionally tied to them as stock vehicles, hence all the grey hairs at the military events.

Another issues is acceptance, I have personally been on the receiving end of many "you should have left it stock" lectures from older gentlemen.
    The subsequent generations who want to fool around with stuff are going to avoid the places where those lectures are going to occur. Why would I bring my truck to a military show where everything is restored originals when all I get is harassed for my ride?

I go to my fair share of events like that but I never bring my 715.
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

I'm going to add my $0.02 worth here. The M715 that was posted at the begging of this thread as well as the one pictured from 2015 that sold at BJ are modified. Custom paint job, tires etc. Which is why I think they went for big bucks at the shows because the buyer (most of the one at BJ IMHO) have more money than brains. Therefore they are willing to pay for something that they don't really know what it is. They don't see an "Army" truck. They see a mean looking off road rig.

The stock vrs modify question as for resale is based on your buyer. I think because of smaller number of M715s made vrs M37s or WC of WWII produced makes it a little more valuable in original stock configuration than a modified truck. Many of these trucks were fitted with SBC motors post military career, and therefore the stock trucks are fewer and harder to find making them IMHO worth more in the collectors market.

But, your mileage may vary and bottom line is the truck is worth what the buyer is willing to pay.
    Zone holster maker

I've been sitting back letting this topic develop since I posted initially and ruminating on the points that hit home with me, and the one that stands out is the stock vs. restomod question. I stand by my contention that the M7XX's relative obscurity dents its market value, but after reading through this thread, I don't think it's the factor I initially thought it was.

I like driving my M715 in its essentially stock form. I like time capsules, things that convey the sensations of their time and purpose. Years ago when I lived in
    Wyoming, a rancher gave me a 1947 Case VAC tractor because I wanted to restore it. I had no actual use for it, but I liked it and wanted to run it in the town parade or whatever just to get the sensation, maybe mow some grass with it. History comes alive through machines. Same with my M715: an old ride I could smell gear oil and hear gear whine in, for example. Yeah, I've modified the brakes and fuel delivery systems to adapt to the availability of parts and modern fuel characteristics, but those mods don't dilute the sensation of driving an old, slow, noisy, tough truck, in my opinion.

Put PS, PB, A/C, and all the other modern accouterments in it, and I might as well by driving my '08 Dodge-- the sensation that I'm sharing an experience my grandparents knew is gone. Why bother at that point? I'm guessing a pilot/owner of an Stearman or J3 would empathize; it's all about the sounds, smells, and muscular involvement. Anyway, enough of that.

I'm an anomaly to a certain extent, I guess: I fought my buddy Harry (with whom I built this truck, and from whom I bought it) tooth-&-nail to retain the stock drivetrain because that M715 ain't really an M715 without it. The wheels too-- I had a heluva time with flat tires for a while, and considered getting some tubeless wheels from Stockton, but the look doesn't fit the truck, IMHO.

My hair isn't fully gray and I only remember the Vietnam War from the evening news, but I just love driving slowly, noisily around in a truck that few want and fewer can identify.

My thoughts exactly Nailhead!! I Want to drive it the way it was made to be driven!
    Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by kyken View Post
    My thoughts exactly Nailhead!! I Want to drive it the way it was made to be driven!

And unfortunately for both Nailhead and Kyken... while they have their opinions (and their respectfully yours)..... the market buying population as a whole is going in the opposite direction....

And in Nailheads comment.... again no disrespect meant... but if you were even 5-10 year old child during the Vietnam war... it puts you into the population pool of buyers that is no longer interested in buying collector vehicles... but selling them. (Again I mean this all in generalities and from a large sample size so please take that as no disrepect). Target buyer in the collector car market is 43-50 yrs old male... ( Born 1968-1975) You will soon see Fox Body mustangs, IROC Camaro's etc from mid 80's to early 90's command more value in an OEM form... not our trucks..... because that's what THEIR memories there trying to recapture were about... Very few buyers in larger $$$ vehicles have any "memories" to recapture with an M715. (If you remember the sounds of an 1967 M715 as a 20 year old trying to recapture your youth.. that puts you at 71 years of age.... which is no longer in the buying pool.)

Museum quality restores of OEM M715's are around $13-17,000 only unfortunately.

While inkling guy with restomod hardcore off road truck brings $22-$32,000. Market forces drive product and consumer direction... unfortunately it's just not a direction that will be popular among the purists on this website.

I'm attempting to do both with mine.... from 10 feet away from the side.. you would have no idea that it is even a restomod... you would think "old army truck"

Following this thread... and then decided not to worry about it. I don't plan on selling mine.
    My nephew's kid has talked me into giving it to him when I'm too old to drive it... his words. he thinks that'll be when he's 16 (8 years from now). I told him I would decide when that was and only IF I see that he can take care of his stuff and won't be an idiot and tear it up. He said "I won't be like Josh and Brayden." (my stepson's)

We'll see... it may end up being my wife's problem after I'm gone.

I WOULD like to see the price of M37s go down... just cuz I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Following this thread... and then decided not to worry about it. I don't plan on selling mine.
    Bingo... if your in the car hobby to make money.. the M715 isn't for you anyhow... (simply not enough buyer$ even know what it is)

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Von, couldn't agree more.

I plan on keeping mine till the bitter end too.

My rig is rough and not pretty, the stuff I did to it is for me to enjoy.
    Some people like stock and some want it wildly modified.
    Not trying to impress anyone but me.

Paul
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...