Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Autolite 2407 have we been running the wrong plugs all along?

Default Victory!!!

Large, man you made my day! Just bought it! Thanks man!

Default Here's another one...

If anyone needs one, here is another link, $15, free shipping. Great Christmas gift for your fellow M715 Zoner.

https://www.ebay.com/i/232193062927?chn=ps

Default Champion 633

You guys tell me...if the reach is 1/2" for the Champion 633 (a.k.a. XML15Y, Link), that would make the overall length here 3", which is the same as the 2407, so we may have a winner winner chicken dinner if the heat range is equivalent.

Range on this plug is a 15. Anyone know if that is similar to the Autolite 2407? I am still hunting for a heat range cross over chart.
    Last edited by ColoradoSpringsRob; February 23rd, 2018 at 03:08 PM.

Hope it works for you!

I've looked through some literature I've saved on spark plugs and found that the Champion equivalent of the 633 (aka XML157) is the Autolite 2407. However, the heat range for the 2407 is listed as "H9".

Maybe a different heat range scale is used across spark plug manufactures?

Default H9 = 15?

Large, that is great. So I will call Autolite and see if they can help us understand heat range equivalents.

Default H9 = 15...yeah, I think so...

Check out this chart .

https://www.boschsparkplugs.net/lear...nversion-chart

At the link above, there is a section regarding Autolite with the following...

Autolite's numbering system does not have a standardized Heat Range identifier.

The last digit in an Autolite part number represents the Heat Range within a plug family.

For example, take the 254x plug series. Autolite has 2544, 2545 and 2546 available. 2544 is the coldest plug in that plug family, and 2546 is the hottest.

However, according to an Autolite reference chart, Autolite 86 has the same heat range as 2244 and Autolite 303 is a hotter plug than 2974.

Therefore, it is impossible to chart an Autolite Heat Range hierarchy, let alone a standardized comparison to other spark plug brands.

Given the 2407 is on the hotter end of the spectrum, and given that the 633/XML15Y is a 15 (hotter end of spectrum for Champion) I think we may have a winner, maybe. Appears that this plug (633/XML15Y) is the right length, the right reach, and the right heat range.

Anyone out there know much about the equivalents, or used this plug in a M715? I just ordered one from Amazon, and my 2344's are sitting over at NAPA, so I will do a side by side comparison when I have them both in hand, with photos and measurements.

{Note: Sincerely appreciate my Zone impromptu spark plug support group helping me along here in this quest...}
    Last edited by ColoradoSpringsRob; February 23rd, 2018 at 05:53 PM.

My plugs showed up today. See below for photos.

The silver one is the Champion 633 plug and is 2 5/16" inches to the seat. The darker plug is a 2344 Autolite for reference and is 2 1/2" to the seat.

633 is heat range 15. 2407 is H9. Hoping the 633 is a good replacement, as it is shorter like the 2407, and they are still available.

Hope this helps someone. RB

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSpringsRob View Post
    My plugs showed up today. See below for photos.

The silver one is the Champion 633 plug and is 2 5/16" inches to the seat. The darker plug is a 2344 Autolite for reference and is 2 1/2" to the seat.

633 is heat range 15. 2407 is H9. Hoping the 633 is a good replacement, as it is shorter like the 2407, and they are still available.

Hope this helps someone. RB
    The Champion plug is surely a much hotter plug because the center electrode is protruding farther, and the threaded portion is just a tad longer. I don't know the clearance during compression so I hope that the piston doesn't smack the electrodes.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    The Champion plug is surely a much hotter plug because the center electrode is protruding farther, and the threaded portion is just a tad longer. I don't know the clearance during compression so I hope that the piston doesn't smack the electrodes.

Just a thought.
    How far does the 2407 protrude?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSpringsRob View Post
    How far does the 2407 protrude?

Here's a 2407; looks like it protrudes about the same as the 633. I guess we try the out and see what happens. I ordered 5 more last night. I will report back once I put them in.