Thread: Brake drum cutting/turning

Default Brake drum cutting/turning

Anyone have any luck getting a drum cut? I went to several truck repair places, machine shops, truck NAPA with big machine shop, etc.

No one could cut them - either they didn't have the right adaptor or even with a correct adaptor, the flat part of the inside of the drum has knurled holes/ridge for the studs that make the drum wobble in the lathe.

Anyone???

I had mine done at a local large truck repair shop. They told me up front that it might not be perfect but they did it and I haven't had any problems.

I've had my local big rig shop tell me to bring in a hub and they can do it. Otherwise, nope. Our wheels are weird and won't fit on standard lathes or wheel balancers. Memphis EQ near me in PA said they could do it, but I dragged my feet, and now it would appear that they have closed.

Zach

Take one drum and the hub it mounts to together as a set. Ask them to try all 3 positions the drum can be placed on the hub and check for runout at each. Find the the least run out, mark it, go ahead and turn the drum and then repeat for the other 3. Any normal car brake lathe can do it with the hub.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Well the only reason I needed them cleaned up is because I had my drums sandblasted and I told them not to do the linings. Well they did the whole drums including the linings. They weren't rough but could have been cleaned up a bit on a lathe.

Since I couldn't get them done, I took a die grinder with some coarse cookie wheels and cleaned up the linings back to new. No problems at all...

But if I'll have to try bringing in the hub if I need one cut down the road...hopefully that will never happen.

Thanks!