Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Bearing removal....

I just sayin'...
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

I edited my post above with the dimensions as I measured the civvy one with a micrometer to see what size tap was needed and figured as long as I had exact numbers, someone might want them someday...
    The bushing is:
    5/8th inch ID
    13/16th inch OD
    1 inch long
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

hey in stead of the grease try using a product calle "pb catalyst" this stuff will free any thing that can free up so that might be your ticket and you can get it at a local automotive store.
    brad in dubuque, iowa
    -brad
    '86 & '98 Ram 4x4's

Grand Poobah: I like that. snap-on has a small slide hammer puller, CJ93B is the mumber of it. if you know any mechanics, you could check with them and see if they have one. I have the set and it works great and Id be glad to send it your way if needed. I know that isnt much help now but itll pull em right out with a 2 pnd slide. if you cant find one, a slide hammer dent puller will work. drill a pilot hole in the side of it and screw in the puller and pop it out. good luck.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

Jon, to bad you are so far away. I have the slide hammer you need...
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Well, Kevin has done it again!! Finally got the pilot bushing out. The solution I used was to get a wood/soft metal bit, 1/2 inch diameter by 7/8ths inch long cylinder and a long bit extension for the drill. Cost was a whopping $10.13...less than the price of a tap by a few bucks...
    Kevin worked on it slowly, checking his progress after every 5-10 seconds of work, until he was almost through the bushing in one spot. Took about 20 minutes going slow and careful...he said he didnt want to tear the motor apart to put in a new crank... He then hit the thicker wall edge next to the thin spot and since it was so thin, it just broke through the thin part. When it did, it kinda snapped like a spring...he fished it out with a screwdriver...at the break line, one side is now ahead of the other by about 1/8 inch...that broke the tension for sure...and right at 1/8th inch in length had been sheared off the tranny end of the bushing.
    The outside of it is scored pretty much from end to end in circular patterns...probably from install? The inside is rough but the hole in the crank is fine.
    Now to get another bushing here....
    It was kinda fun to look in the cab, tranny cover off, with Kevin sitting under the truck and his hair sticking out the tunnel opening working away...one stap closer to a running rig...
    maybe for the FE...not holding my breath though...
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Brute,

Glad to hear it! I had about the same trouble you had and got on the Zone sunday morn to see how you had handled it. The idea of tapping the bushing worked for me. I stuck a small socked inside, then tapped the bushing and as the tap went in the bushing came out.

You have 8 weeks until the FE. Plenty of time to get your truck running, tested, and down there. Think positive!
    -B.

Default Fallujah Incident

Well 8 weeks of "I cant work on the thing cause my shoulder/clavicle/neck are killing me" doesnt do me any good...
    Actually I was thinking of doing the tap, but since a stock one is 5/8ths inside and mine was chewed some, I would have needed at least an 11/16ths...which I would have had to order for about $16, or spend $20 and go to a 3/4 size, but the OD is only 13/16ths and I didnt want to be that close...figured for the softer material of the pilot bushing, sintered bronze I believe, that it was just as easy to "chow" it out...spent just over $10 besides what I'll end up paying Kev...probably have to give him the truck...
    brute4c

I know you already got it out, but I thought i'd add a little trick. We took some bread (that's right plain old white bread) and crammed the hole in the bushing full. Then took a round "punch" (I used a round ratchet handle) and pound it in there. it works like the grease thing, but the bread is stiffer and gets more oomph!. I LMAO when i heard of it, but it did the trick for my truck. It did take several slices though.

Well the saga continues....I ordered a new bushing from Memphis Equipment...I just knew that $3.64 price was a steal...well it arrived yesterday...ID is the only measurment that is correct...OD is 1/32nd too small...just slides in and out of the crank...and its 1/4 inch shorter, 3/4 as opposed to 1 inch stock...now to get a hold of Memphis and see if this is what is actually listed or if they sent me the wrong one....YIKES!!!!!
    If it werent for the FE, we'd be talking swap time....
    brute4c