Thread: Transmission Install

Default Brake Shoes

I'm putting the trasnmission back on the engine/bellhousing. Clutch plate is aligned with pilot bearing. Transmission goes on part way... I rotate the rear yoke, the splines line up, it goes on another couple of inches or so and then stops with an inch left to go.... I'm using some cut off 5" bolts as alignment pins on the bell housing to align transmission with the bell housing. Checked and rechecked the pilot bearing clutch plate alignment.

Transmission now is laying in floor as it is too heavy to throw thru windshield.

Any ideas.

Thanks....

I was going to suggest that the trans centerline wasn't proper with the crank centerline but the pins should help with that. Be certain that the gap between the bell and trans is equal from top to bottom.

You did use a clutch alignment thing? I'm too cheap to buy one so I leave the pressure plate loose enough for the disc to slide around as needed. No problems yet with that method. But you need access to the clutch after the install to tighten the pressure plate.

Did you replace the pilot bushing? If you did, did you check that it fit the tranny shaft first? Sometimes bronze bushings need to be burnished to size after the install too but probably not here.

Chris

I would also suggest checking the pilot bushing.

Chris: your local parts houses should have alignment tools for free, deposit of course. Makes things a tiny bit easier.
    **I heart Bump_r **

I had the same problem once, sounds the same as what i ran into when the shaft and pilot bushing would not line up, just keep at it and it will go. Do not try to pull it tight with nuts or bolts, just work it around and it should eventually drop in.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Is the throwout bearing sliding on the transmission quill properly? Is th ebearing relase arm positioned properly on pivot(s)? Is the clutch/pressure plate seated fully? Sounds as much of a clutch system bind as it does pilot bushing interference.

Good luck, and let us know.

Bob
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

Sometimes they drop right in somtimes you have to wiggle and jiggle while doing the bench press manouver.

It's done.....finally. It turned out to be two things. 1) the ID of the pilot bearing was 0.020 less than it should have been. 2) alignment of the clutch disc...I ended up using an actual transmission input shaft and collar as a clutch disc alignment tool. Too easy once the bearing and alignment was correct.

Thanks all.