Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I need front bumper build ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    That looks great. Not overbearing and pretentious like a lot of them I've seen, not just on our trucks but on new ones too. Definitely not stock but doesn't totally clash. Diggin the integrated receiver too. Mine is just a chunk of square tubing welded to the bottom of the channel iron.

Thanks! The idea behind the front and rear receivers is I’m just going to put the winch on a receiver plate so I can use it front or back, and I could tuck the front bumper in more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put the 8" channel on the truck and it just didn't look right.

Mostly cause the rig is pretty high and really didn't fill the gap between the body and the ground well enough, aesthetics are important ...

Also was not a fan of the straight look and the edge on the corner.

So I got a chunk of 10" channel (heavy sh!t btw) and performed surgery.
    Made a low profile winch mount.
    Did a pie cut to match the body line and capped the ends.
    Mounted some shackle mounts from a lost project.

[IMG]DSC01843 by paul lynch, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01844 by paul lynch, on Flickr[/IMG]

Any thoughts?

Paul
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

Nice! I really like the capped ends, may have to do that with mine some day. It'd still bruise a leg pretty good but maybe not rip up a pants leg or draw blood like mine does.

I had to cap this one
    The 8" wasn't and I kept catching it with my pants
    Looks better too

looks great. The capped ends are a nice finishing touch.

Thanks guys

I went for something a bit lower profile. Built mine this weekend. 2x6 1/4 wall, winch plate is 1/2in. I miter cut the ends and swept them back 12 degrees. Put another miter on the outside edges, threw on some shackle mounts and sprayed it green.

I wanted ground clearance and approach angle so that came into play for me.

(hoping the pictures work)

Burrito, nice bumper! What kind of tires are those?

I was thinking of doing something similar but I wanted to sink the winch a little and not have it stick out so far.

As far as the clearance goes I really wasn't worried. Mine is a tar baby for the most part, I have other toys to destroy ofroad ...

[IMG]Snapchat-1585853086 by , on Flickr[/IMG]

The first attempt was with a 8" chunk of channel but it just didn't look right.
    The 10" looks more proportional with the setup and it matches the look on the rear.

Thank ya, I wanted the winch further back but would have had to pull the solenoids off the top and remote mount them so I just called it good for now.

The tires are 11.00R16 Michelin XZLs mounted on f250 single wheel steelies. None of my drivetrain is stock hence the 8 lug wheels on a 60 front and 70 rear. The tires measure out to around 39 inches and are very narrow for their height which I like. Eventually I'll re-gear and go to 46in michelins of similar tread design because these 11.00r16s are getting very hard to find.... at the time I paid something like 225 a piece new delivered and kick myself for not buying more....

I'm a big fan of the skinny pizza cutter style military tires, that's why I like yours too.

I'm mounting my solenoid on the inner fender next to my battery.
    That let me put most of the winch under the front edge of the body. Which in turn let me put the bumper only a couple inches past the frame horns.

I also wanted to make it look primitive, mostly to just maintain the general theme of my rig. Had thought about the angle cuts on the ends too, they look good but I was lazy.

I understand about the tall, relatively skinny tire thing. I think it looks better too. Most guys who don't know differently think they are stock like that.

Now all I need is a super aggressive 11r22.5 mud tire.