Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-brand rocker panel review. PIC HEAVY!

Default Multi-brand rocker panel review. PIC HEAVY!

I recently replaced the passengers rocker panel on my 71 and used a commonly available replacement rocker panel. The fit was sub-par to say the least.
    lines where missing, it was cut wrong and didn't fit the cab corner. The flanges weren't formed right for both the floor and inner rocker. It was
    a very disappointing replacement.

So I went on a hunt for a better option. Thanks to a fellow member I was turned on to Melnick Metal Works Inc (see very bottom of page for contact info) in Bristol CT. This fellow member dropped off a very good donor rocker from a Wagoneer and Melnicks went about re-creating it. I think the results are phenomenal.

Below is a comparison of Melnicks rocker panel, and of several others I have from various souces. They came from "Classic to Current"
    (referred to as CTC from now on), Rock Auto (RA), BJ's Off road and of course Melnicks.
    The RA rocker has the same part number as the CTC rocker.

The following pics and info should speak for them selves regarding the quality of the various rockers. I will say, right of the bat that the BJ's rocker is a couple of years old, and I have been told by them that some of the fitment issues have been resolved.

Note that all but the Melnicks are meant as weld in replacements with all flanges prebent. This implies they are more or less ready to weld in as is. The Melnick rockers have no side flanges, and are made longer than necessary to allow for better custom fitting. All the other rockers need material added in (to lengthen them) as they are incorrectly angled on the cab corner side as you will see.

Also note this isn't intended to bash any company or their products. I'm just stating my experiences with them from handling, comparing and installing one of them. My opinions on them are my own, yours may vary.

First off, from top to bottom: Melnick, BJ's, CTC and RA. Ignore the smudge on the RA. All but the Melnicks rocker have a form of anti rust coating on them. The Melnicks are oiled.

From bottom to top: Melnick, BJ, CTC and RA.

Close up of the product stickers. The Melnicks has non.

BJ's.

CTC

RA. As you can see, this one has been around a while. Note the PN is the same as the CTC rocker.

1963 J300/1971 J2000/1983 J10

First Comparison pics. Melnicks on the left, BJ's on the right. Sorry these came out so dark. I had a hard time seeing what I was shooting through the camera screen due to the sun.

Note the correct 90* step down from the sill plate area to the incorrectly sloping "shelf" on the BJ's. The Melnicks is correctly bent to 90*. Also note the missing body line below it on the bJ's, and poorly formed lower flange area. The BJ's panel also has very small front (fender side) side flanges for spot welding, and poorly formed rear(cab corner side) side flanges.

Melnick on the left, CTC on the right.

Note the incorrectly sloping step down to the correctly bent "shelf". Also missing on this rocker is the body line seen on the Melnick rocker on the left. And every FSJ ever made! Also note the incorrectly bent lower flange, and the larger side flanges for spot welding.

Melnicks on the left, RA on the right. Note the incorrectly bent (angles outward) step down, incorrect "shelf" and missing body line. Good size side flanges for spot welding, and a somewhat decent lower flange.

2nd series of comparisons. Not the edges of the rockers where they would meet the cab corner.

BJ;s on the right, Melnicks on the left.

BJ's has non completely bent flanges, and (hard to see with the flanges the way they are) a very poorly fitting angle. This is the mate to the rocker I used. It leaves an almost 1" gap at the bottom of the cab corner. Melnicks is cut to the correct 90*.

Melnicks on the left, CTC on the right.

The CTC has less severe of an angle than the BJ's and better bent flanges. Still the wrong angle. Also note, this rocker is HUGE!!! It's much large than any of the others. It's size is completely wrong.

Melnicks on the left, RA on the right.

You can see the terrible angle well in this picture. The BJ's is worse after folding the flanges over. Note how much more in proption to the Melnicks rocker this one is.

So I think the pics pretty much tell all you need to know. That being said, the others can me made to work. I made the BJ's fit OK. But it's no where near right. The Melnicks will be more expensive as they are custom bent by master metal smiths in a custom fabrication shop. But they are not unreasonably prices.

Some notes I made on the various rockers. I used a Miller sheet metal thickness gauge to determine the thickness of each rocker.

Melnicks: Completely correct bends, no side flanges. 20g thickness (this is matched to the 85 Wagoneer they where patterned from, I believe the older Jeep rockers are 18g). Best flanges for floor and inner rocker pinch welds.

BJ's: multiple incorrect bends, smallest side flanges, flange for floor pinch weld too tall, but still 2nd best of the bunch. Smallest flange for inner rocker pinch weld. Thin side of 18g.

CTC: Multiple incorrect bends. Best side flanges. Flange for floor pinch wled too tall. Flange for inner rocker too short, but better than BJ's. 18g. Overly large rocker. Much bigger than any of the others.

RA: Multiple incorrect bends, 2nd best side flanges, 2nd best flange for inner rocker pinch weld, flange too tall for floor pinch weld. 20g. Feels cheaper than any of the others, even taking into consideration the lighter weight steel.

If you want to get a pair of these rockers for your self and meet some great guys, give Melnicks a call and ask them about their FSJ rocker panels. Make sure you specify what length you need (Wagoneer/Cherk or Truck) as they can make them in any length you need.

Melnick Metal Works Inc
    153 Church St, Bristol, CT 06010
    (860) 583-7982

just take a good section from a m715 to any metal fab shop and they can break them out for you perfectly per your pattern. that's what I did.

great post though, well informed

Thanks for the write up! Funny they same day I saw it on IFSJA I found a guy selling some 20yr old brand new J-truck ones on CL 20 mins from my house, so I figured I would give them a try. They seem pretty nice.If they suck I will go to Melnicks.
    Is that real money?

Thanks for all the great research, I am in the process of doing rockers right now and purchased rockers from BJ's off road in 2010 and they are terrible!!
    I tried to make them work but they just suck!! I think I'm just going to purchase the ones from melnicks. Melnicks looks way better

take a section of your old rocker to any sheet metal shop ,have the length you need and they can break it out for you. theres nothing special about them............

I spoke with Pete Melnick today. They are going to start making these again.