Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Second Iteration

Got some more done this afternoon. Here is what I went with for a torsion mount for the motor to keep it from shifting on the liquid mounts under load and starting/shutdown.

Ties in on the back of the block and is bushed at the frame with a poly bushing.

All the material once again is 1/4 wall DOM or 1/4 plate steel. Used a couple of ballistic tabs to make everything go a bit faster.

Transfercase mount is 1/4 wall DOM for the upper brace and the legs to the frame are 1/4 wall 2x2 square tubing.

Braced off the PTO cover as well

Everything will get pulled and cleaned up and painted off the truck but I have some more needle gun work before that.

Welding that still needs to be done is the steering box, e-brake, front shock mounts, front receiver and a few other things.

Once I get the front end taken care of and the trans rebuilt I will be fitting the cab. Plans there are to make entire center section of the floor between the mounting ribs removable to the point where either the trans of transfercase could be removed through the cab.

Looks good. I'm really curious to see how that engine bracket works out.

Well it has been about 3 years since I worked on this truck! Since then I've moved out of state into a new house and shop and frankly the 715 sat in a connex for the duration collecting dust.

In the past few months I was able to get the truck back on the road, there's still plenty to get done but it is atleast driving!

I apologize in advance for the photos, they are hosted on photobucket who changed their policies regarding forum display and ask you to pay a couple hundred dollars to view images like that.....If you can't see my pictures or get the photobucket error message google photobucket fix and whatever browser you use. Chrome and explorer both offer free plug ins you can download to make all the photobucket hosted images load automatically.

I don't have as many progress pictures as I would like, but to respond to Mikel's last point, I did away with the engine mounted brace, keeping the motor mounts low and wide seems to be plenty of support for the 4bt.

Also I redid the transfercase and transmission mounts.....they were UGLY. Still a 3 pt transfercase mount but the upper and lower mounts actually blend in better now.

Then there was the issue of body work and rust.....

There was a lot of it. The floors I entirely redid as well as the rockers, using all 14 gauge, 3/16 plate for the rockers, and the front clip had some rust above the wheel well arcs and in the chin.

After much cutting, more time on the metal brake then I would have liked, and plenty of time hammering stubborn panels into form, it was mostly ready for paint.....

Admittedly I didn't go a great job prepping it for paint, but I still plan on swapping out some body parts for better condition ones in the future so I just wanted it to be semi-presentable and not live in a shipping container anymore.

Definitely was a fire truck at some point in it's life.....

From there it was onto seat mounts, fuel lines, and rewiring the entire truck. I used a panel from the 12voltguy.com and love it. Very clean, easy to work with. Mounted that and my radio where the ID plate usually sits so I can cover it up later if I want to go back to a stock appearance.

This is obviously a partially complete photo... But every single wire in the truck is new, gauges I am running are oil pressure, voltage, Temp, EGT, I need to add boost gauge as well.

I redid all my intercooler piping, went with an aluminum rad, and set my intercooler forward into the core support to pickup some room in the engine bay. Heres a partially complete engine bay shot or two. I run a dual fan setup on the rad but so far have only had to use it sitting in traffic once.

These aren't in the correct order for those of you that are keeping track....but a week or two ago I built a front bumper for the truck and dragged it outside to hose her down with some paint.

And the old girl is officially back in the rotation for chore duty, borrowing a log splitter. Running well so far but it still needs a lot of little things. My e-brake and onboard air isn't hooked up yet. And I still need to go through the front end which has in inner axle seal leak. That will likely wait until winter when I have time and money to regear to 5.13s and throw a locker in the rear. Also the rear main is leaking.....should have gotten the sleeve repair kit when I did the rear main but I'll drop the trans this winter and do that when I am more motivated..... Always something to work on that's for sure. I also want to put a cage in the cab and run a bikini top on it but that will be a side project at some point as well.

BTW, the thieves at Photobucket are blocking third party listing of pictures. But there is and extension that you can download and add to Chrome and the pictures appear. I tried it;, it works. I now see your pictures.