Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hummer H1 wheels recentered with M715 wheel centers?

Thanks for all the input so far.

What about re centering a deuce and a half wheel with the M715 wheel center. Is this possible? Has it been done?

Stretching a 16 inch center to meet up with a 20 inch rim won't work unless you have the 6100 model metal stretcher.

Re drilling M35 or Gama Goat rims has been done however.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Barman who makes the model 6100 metal stretcher? Can I use my company ID-10-T requisition form to get one? (Are they still made in the USA)?

Okay so maybe I should get back to reality. Can I buy a standard 16" wheel without a center and add my 715 center to it? I'm on a shoestring budget but I will not cut corners on the wheels because I do plant to drive this on the road when I finally get it finished.

Yes you can. That is basically what Bob Cowen did with his tubeless rims. Like Bob, the trouble you are going to run into is the drop center well. That is what you have to weld to and depending on where that is on the rim determines your back spacing.

I really suggest you use the stock rims until you can get a set made just the way you want.

Oh, you can try using that form. It might go through.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

I'm pretty sure you can buy just the outside rim part from marsh. If you know somebody with a CNC type cutting table, you could pretty easily make the centers out of flat plate. After all, that's all the marsh wheels really are. I have seen a few people cut the centers out of old wheels and cut new ones out of flat plate then weld them in. Getting it perfectly true would take some skill, but it's pretty straight forward otherwise, and you can build them with whatever backspacing you want.

Quote Originally Posted by MJCougler View Post
    I have a set of the 8-bolt re-centered rims on mine and I really like the way they look. I bought them from http://www.TrailWorthyFab.com. I also paid a little extra and had them power-coat them with Olive Drab. They also have radial HUMMER tires for sale. I chose instead to drive to Albemarie NC and pick-out my own 90 percent tread tires that I found on e-bay. Remember to order a spare too!

One warning here I need to add. I do not have good braking with these tires. I have done both the dual master cylinder conversion, and the wheel cylinder conversion and I am trying to figure out now how to "test" the output of my master cylinder over on another thread. I installed the re-manufactured 1" bore master cylinder (10-1371) and possibly that is the reason for the poor braking. Do some more research here first.

Good luck with your tires.
    I have a set of the 12bolts with the matching goodyear radials. Drive fine, brake fine, look pretty good.

I got them from Trailworthy several years ago and they were the first set they had done for a M715. Cheapest combo out the door for what you get.

Default Mrw

I had an email convo last week wirth Marsh... they went out of their way to make it

ABSOLUTELY CLEAR

that their wheels are NOT for on-road use.

I had a few very nice & pleasant exchanges with Marsh in regards to their rims & the Inner Diameter dimensions of their 16/16.5/17/18/20" rim bands (or shells, depending on how you wish to refer to them).

Rim Diameter - Inner Diameter

16" - 13.479"
    16.5 - 13.479"
    17" - 15.470"
    18" -16.250"
    20" - 18.375"
    20" - 17.375" Mil. (SPECIAL BUILT RIM FOR MILITARY BIG BEAD TIRES)

And I inquired about the weight limits of their rims... their response:

"ABOUT 1500 TO 2500 Lbs PER WHEEL DEPENDING ON THE CENTER PLACEMENT, BOLT PATTERN, MOTORSPORT EVENT, ETC.

MRW is a custom wheel manufacturer - our wheels are built for motorsports/ off-road use only and are NOT for street or highway use . Many of MRW's products are built to a customer's specifications and are one of a kind; we can not test each wheel for weight capacity, or durability. The useful service life of Motorsports Accessories can vary greatly, from seconds to years depending on conditions. "

'Tanner'

Are the real stock HMMWV rims DOT approved? I know for sure that only the Hutchinson aluminum ones are DOT approved. I just walked over and looked at a set of 8 stud ones and can't find a DOT stamp anywhere on them.

Military HMMVEE rims have a DOT stamp, but also have stamped "Military Use Only"

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...s/IMG_4642.jpg

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...s/IMG_4629.jpg
    1968 M715
    1968 M725

Defbob,

I've tried following the links but get a 403 forbidden error.