Thread: New to Forum and to ownership

Default New to Forum and to ownership

I just purchased a 1967 M725. Everything looks like in working condition with the exception of the fuel gauge. An aftermarket fuel cell has been installed.
    Are used or reproduction tanks available with the proper fuel sending unit?
    Where is a good source for parts? used or new?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to this adventure. I will be posting pics as soon as I bring "Klinger" home.
    Ray
    67 M725 & 83 FJ60

At the top of the for sale section is a sticky listing new tanks for sale using the original sender. Good luck with the M725 recovery.

I remember a long time ago a discussion on aftermarket gauges. My first question would be is the 725 24 or 12 volt. Grounds seemed to be a common issue and I think if the float arm was adjusted right.
    Welcome! There are a lot of people with great experience here that should chime in soon- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Welcome to the forum. Please don't be shy and please do ask questions. We really like pictures too!

My experience is that the old tanks, unless they are spotless inside (unusual) will continue be a pain in the arse. I bit the bullet and got a new reproduction stainless steel tank and a new sender. I have had zero problems.

You may want to concentrate on other items first, get it reliable, running well, leaks fixed first as long as you are able to run it with the aftermarket tank.

My only experience with a used tank has been a good one so far: bought from a Zone member, we went to some effort to clean it & line it thoroughly, and a year and a half later it's working great: the fuel filter is as clean as new.

Welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Please don't be shy and please do ask questions. We really like pictures too!

My experience is that the old tanks, unless they are spotless inside (unusual) will continue be a pain in the arse. I bit the bullet and got a new reproduction stainless steel tank and a new sender. I have had zero problems.

You may want to concentrate on other items first, get it reliable, running well, leaks fixed first as long as you are able to run it with the aftermarket tank.
    Thanks for the feedback. I am going to look at the SS tanks. I may need some help getting the gauge to work. It is the 24V system. As far as I can tell, the truck starts and runs great. No rust issues whatsoever that I can see. A couple of the night time lights don't work but otherwise, she's pretty clean. I am picking it up on Wed and will start going through once I get home.
    Ray
    67 M725 & 83 FJ60

Since the original truck was 24 Volt, you can go by the Technical Manuals (at the top of this page). Check with Memphis equipment for the sender unit. I think that is where I got mine.