Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

I hear ya Paul. If it's not time, it's money, if it's not money, it's time...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Is your truck going to be back on the road again before you move George? It seems like you must be pretty close to done now?

Its close Paul, but I have started the new job and have been commuting, and packing when I am home. Other than drive shafts and a dodge clutch reservoir and slave, I have most everything to finish it.

I'm thinking it will be a while, until I get settled
    Thanks, George

We had some fabulous weather here today. It got up to 60 on the thermometer by my back door.

I decided to take advantage of the great weather and get some work done on my truck.

I finished constructing the battery box cut into the front left fender. I got pictures but they'll have to wait until tomorrow.

I also worked on the shift linkage to the transmission. It isn't perfect but I can now shift the transmission into reverse, drive and park from the cab and it seems to be repeatable. It isn't adjusted perfectly yet but I will use it as is until I get further along. I am using a shift cable from a 2002 Grand Cherokee and the shift lever from an older (1996 or so) Grand Cherokee. I didn't get pictures though because I again forgot. I will probably get some tomorrow.

I then moved on to the 4wd linkage. I'm using the 4x4 shift lever from the same 1996 (or so) Grand Cherokee. I didn't actually get that connected yet because I spent too long trying to get the NP208 shift lever off the transfer case and getting the shift rod for that cleaned up. The cotter pins were rusted in so it took up a bit of time. I'm hoping to continue working on the linkage tomorrow.

Another mild day here but not quite as nice as yesterday. It made it to almost 50 though. For January in Michigan I'll take it.

I spent a little more time on the truck today. I didn't actually do much on the linkage but I think I have a plan now.

I ended up starting to install a manual glow plug relay.

I had already installed a GM automatic relay but I never installed the sensor for it to operate properly so it doesn't stay on long enough when it is cold here. I got the new relay mounted but I don't have a momentary switch to make it work yet.

I also got some pictures of the shift linkage.

Here is the upper bracket.

And the lower bracket. The throw is adjustable by sliding the cable up and down the shift rod.

And in this pic you can see the bottom and the top bracket of the shift cable. Once I get it adjusted properly I will drill some holes in the shift rod to install some clips so the cable won't slide out of position.

I decided to take it for a test spin today and ended up running out of fuel. The gauge said 1/4 tank but it stalled and would not restart until I added more. I guess I will need to look at the fuel gauge to see why it is so far off.

I spent a few hours on the truck again today. I ended up breaking 3 of the 4 studs that held the exhaust flange together. It's going to be a pain to get the broken studs out now. But at least I have a usable exhaust flange to work from now. The exhaust will be 3 inch all the way back. I'm not sure if I will put a muffler on yet. It depends on how loud it is when the pipe is routed all the way back.

And I welded together the linkage rods that were attached to the transfer case and shift lever. It's not pretty but it proves that my idea will work. It is actually pretty close to good as far as adjustment which is very surprising. I figured I would need to extend or retract one of the levers on either the shifter or transfer case to get the adjustment correct but I think it will work fine as is.

Well the shifter cable was short lived. Last night I moved my truck out of the garage so my son could get his Jeep in to work on it this weekend. The truck started up slow as usual in the cold weather. When I went to shift it into reverse I felt something let loose. When I crawled under the truck to look I saw the plastic hoop on the shift cable broken. I will have to look at it today but I'm hoping I can replace the plastic hoop with a metal piece and get the linkage adjusted anyway.

While I'm trying to rebuild my truck fund I'm working on the beadlock rims. I brought them to work with me this week and got a coat of paint on them. I'm hoping to get them finished today and bring them home.

A pic of the broken shift cable.

And shift linkage 2.0

I was able to cut some threads on the shifter shaft and thread a modified turn buckle onto it. The adjustment is almost perfect too.

I have the H1 beadlock wheels welded up and painted. I was thinking of heading in to work to pick them up and assemble them tonight but after reading on Rustoleum's web site the paint needs 24 hours to cure.

Today I got the tires mounted to the wheels and wheels installed on the truck. I aired them up to 25 PSI. I will be checking them in a couple days to see if I have any leaks.

Looks good
    Thanks, George