Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First M715

Make sure you bypass the factory mechanical fuel pump when you install the electric pump. The reason for that is if you get a hole in the diaphragm on the mechanical pump and it's still hooked up the electric pump will rapidly fill your crankcase with gas.

I use Surplus City from CA. They were the least expensive, but I see they raised their prices. They used to be $265.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

I mounted mine on the back of the underbed storage box, up and out of the the way. I'll get a pic for you later.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    I mounted mine on the back of the underbed storage box, up and out of the the way. I'll get a pic for you later.
    Same here
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Here is a pick of where I mounted the fuel pump in case anyone's interested. Location worked out pretty good. Pump came with the truck and is 24v.

https://goo.gl/photos/vaVXwn7dgTP3FRAP9

The previous owner hooked up a 12v system but kept the 24v system as well. Not exactly sure what's running on 12v. Found a wire behind the dash that lit up 24v when the ignition was on so I just used it to run the pump. Unfortunately the gas tank was pretty dirty and rusty so cleaning it out and waiting for POR-15 sealer to arrive.

I would make sure if you are using an electric fuel pump that you install an oil pump switch in series with the electric pump for safety reasons. The switch allows the electric pump to run only when there is oil pressure.

I installed a momentary switch in my dash that would activate the pump manually. It wasn't actually necessary to install the momentary bypass switch but was done for convenience. If I ever ran out of fuel it made it easy to prime the fuel line without cranking the engine over.

The safety switch will actually turn the pump on almost as soon as the engine is cranked over. But if the truck were ever in an accident it could prevent the pump from creating a potentially dangerous situation.

Many people leave the safety switch out and have not had a problem but for me the little bit of extra work gives me piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    I would make sure if you are using an electric fuel pump that you install an oil pump switch in series with the electric pump for safety reasons. The switch allows the electric pump to run only when there is oil pressure.

I installed a momentary switch in my dash that would activate the pump manually. It wasn't actually necessary to install the momentary bypass switch but was done for convenience. If I ever ran out of fuel it made it easy to prime the fuel line without cranking the engine over.

The safety switch will actually turn the pump on almost as soon as the engine is cranked over. But if the truck were ever in an accident it could prevent the pump from creating a potentially dangerous situation.

Many people leave the safety switch out and have not had a problem but for me the little bit of extra work gives me piece of mind.
    I hadn't thought about the safety concerns but that makes alot of sense. Thanks

I know that this is somewhat OT (well, actually a lot OT!) but this is my first M715. Picture taken summer of 1969, reservoir above Blanding, UT. Oh, we were fishing that day. I was 21 years old at the time and a SP4...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    I know that this is somewhat OT (well, actually a lot OT!) but this is my first M715. Picture taken summer of 1969, reservoir above Blanding, UT. Oh, we were fishing that day. I was 21 years old at the time and a SP4...

Don, I have enjoyed seeing this picture for a long time.

But, I have just now noticed that there are dents in the hood.
    Your weren't supposed to walk on the hood (back in the day) to install the canvas cab top! Kids
    Last edited by jeepdan; January 14th, 2017 at 03:36 PM.

Cool pic Don, I love seeing your Back in the day pics, especially your truck in Germany all detailed.

Congrats on the new truck, another option is to rebuild you stock fuel pump or have it rebuilt, if you get rid of your fuel pump, you stock wipers wont work any more,

Duane