Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transfer Case Cooling Idea

Quote Originally Posted by md1970 View Post
    best help to cool it down I,ve found is synthetic lube 85-140 and the drive shaft relocation kit bj,s sells. jmo

I'm running Amsoil 85/140, which has had NO detectable beneficial effect on t-case temp: still too hot to hold a hand on after a few miles at 50 mph.

With Mobile 1 in mine I hit over 270° case temp. That was with the drive shaft relocation. Of course, I was running the 396 at 2500 rpm in over drive going around 67 mph for an hour when I smelled the oil and decided to check. I keep it at or below 54 mph now. 2500 drive shaft rpm with the 11.00 tires or 48 mph stock tires.

I have a NP205 ready to go but am just too lazy to do the swap. Other have had good results with a complete rebuild of the 200. If you have a transfer case that gets hot, those two options of either rebuild or replace seem to be the only for sure cures.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Add changing the axle gear ratio as the 3rd cure.

I have two NP200s, one in a vehicle with 4.10s and the other with 4.56's. I get an annoying chattering noise in both at light throttle while on the highway, but they've never overheated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    I have two NP200s, one in a vehicle with 4.10s and the other with 4.56's. I get an annoying chattering noise in both at light throttle while on the highway, but they've never overheated.
    Tire size/RPM?

In the course of replacing my transfer case rubber mounts yesterday, I noticed one reason my t-case gets hot: the exhaust pipe passes within about 1/2" of the top corner of the case. Looking around, I couldn't see any other way it could be sensibly routed, and the pic I looked at in the OMM section shed no light on factory exhaust pipe routing.

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    Tire size/RPM?
    37" tires. Engine RPM on the highway is about 1800, so about 2200 RPM thorough the transfer case.

The exhaust does come that close. But, that far from the engine it probably won't be over 200° or so. Depending on load, outside temp and such of course.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    The exhaust does come that close. But, that far from the engine it probably won't be over 200° or so. Depending on load, outside temp and such of course.

Thank you. I won't worry about it, then.