Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Questions / Which box & pump to use?

I used the box and pitman from a '79 J-10 - both bolted right up.

I haven't added the 4th bolt yet, but my 725 doesn't really go off-road. If I were building one to wheel - then definately add the 4th bolt.

rich
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

I used a FSJ box and arm, bolted right up, no nothing to change. I'm only using 3 bolts, as the org box never fell off. MHO!

I have an 83 Ford pickup I'm parting out right now and casually noticed the box is inside the frame. Prolly not something that would work but I think I'll pull it and see if it lines up with the extra M715 frame I have. Any thoughts before I go get all greasy?

I'm using a three bolt box that was a CJ take off. I figure since I'm staying with stock size tires, it should be fine.

Haven't finished that project yet though.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I picked up a FSJ box off of a Waggy from the mid to late 70's. Bolted right on and used the pitman arm that was on it with no mods at all. $60.00 shipped from an e-bay seller. It was even clean.

There are several that have pulled the pump off due to the increased forces of the power system, especially when combined with larger tires. We used to have some nasty ics of a box literally ripped from the frame.

Earlier trucks had the pump bolted to the inside of the frame only. Later some trucks came with the mounts through the frame with sleeves inside to increase the strength...and that was on the manual only system.

I would go with 4 that are through the frame with spacers inside the frame to keep things solid...if it is just for show/street/parades, etc. then the 3 would be fine...anytime more horsepower is added or bigger tires go on or both, and offroad driving is common, go with 4.

Quote Originally Posted by compexp View Post
    I used the box and pitman from a '79 J-10 - both bolted right up.

I haven't added the 4th bolt yet, but my 725 doesn't really go off-road. If I were building one to wheel - then definately add the 4th bolt.

rich
    come on rich, the 725,s are made to wheel, LOL! looks like Im going to try and get mine to colorado this year. due to my divorce and custody battle still not being over yet, my plans are still having to be put on hold so ex scank cant get her grubs on anything else of mine. shoot, I cant even build my shop yet either.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hetzer View Post
    I'm using a three bolt box that was a CJ take off. I figure since I'm staying with stock size tires, it should be fine.

Haven't finished that project yet though.
    just a quick note on the cj box, although the bolt pattern is the same, and it will work, the cj box has a shorter travel and is less durable than the fsj box, if you are not planning on any off road use, it will probably be ok, but any kind of abuse or larger than stock tires will most likely leave you cussing yourself. the increased turning radius from the fsj box is also a big plus.

i ordered a rebuilt one from checker yesterday.
    at least it has some kind of warranty
    148.00 for the box and core.
    reason i went this way was the 10.00 core charge...
    down to frame so should not be much of a problem to mount.

Quote Originally Posted by mojomot View Post
    just a quick note on the cj box, although the bolt pattern is the same, and it will work, the cj box has a shorter travel and is less durable than the fsj box, if you are not planning on any off road use, it will probably be ok, but any kind of abuse or larger than stock tires will most likely leave you cussing yourself. the increased turning radius from the fsj box is also a big plus.

Turning radius I'd never considered. Strength...well, don't see how it could be any weaker than a car steering box. They're not made for large tires or abuse either. Plenty of CJ's with big tires around. Hmmmm.

I'm not trying to discount what you're saying, just sort of thinking aloud. Some additional thought will have to go into it.