Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Power Steering Questions / Which box & pump to use?

Default Power steering conversion question

I've been a member of this site for over a year and I find it very informative. This is my first post on here. I'm doing the power steering conversion, and my 4 bolt Saginaw box doesn't seem to fit, seemingly because of the support bar that is welded on the passenger side of the frame and extends across to the drivers side just underneath where the steering box mounts. My question is, do I need to remove this support bar? I've never read any posts that say this is an issue. Thank you.

1- 67 M715 W/O winch former brush truck.
    1- 67 M715 W/ winch untouched Army vehicle.

I also had to remove that bar. I never noticed it affecting anything. I also had to cut the top c channel off for my hoses to the box. I then rewelded it out of the way.
    1967 M-715 6bt Cummins 5speed

I had to cut that, but reattached afterwards
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Default Power steering conversion question

Thanks jroc93003 and flingarrows for your help. I will cut the bar off then reattach.

What are you guys using for a power steering pump mount?

Blog Entries

my question is what are you using for the powersteering box mount? 3 holes to four. bolt right up with a sleeve in the fourth hole???

Nvrmnd saw this post ... "The M715 has the box mounted to the inside of the frame.

The FSJ's and Chevy car have the box mounted inside the frame and actually use the same box.

The M715 has the same mounting location for its box that the FSJ's have for their power steering box...3 of the 4 mounting holes for the FSJ/Chevy car box ARE the mount holes the M715's manual box is already using.

Chevy truck boxes mount OUTSIDE the frame...
    "
    Last edited by teking; November 14th, 2020 at 02:01 PM.

Power Steering upgrade my way! 1-Lares 1106 Power Steering Box 3 Bolt From RockAuto. 2-Adjuster Arm SUM-G4049B from Summit. 3- Flaming River FR1613 Pump Bracket. found cheap on ebay. 4- Saginaw Pump (used) Early style Mopar. 5- Pressure hose SUNSONG 3401750 Rock Auto. 6-Return Hose EDELMANN 70551 Rock Auto. 7-Belt Measure yourself with a rope.
    The Adjuster Arm needs to be bent to line up with pulleys. Do this after mounting Pump Bracket. Pump Bracket will need an extra hole drilled so it can slide over further forward to line pump with pulleys. The pump Bracket mounts on the Alternator support. I am sure I am missing something but you now have most of what you need to make your M715 Safer! Power Steering Pump Mount.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spineracer; January 15th, 2023 at 09:09 PM.