Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disc Brake Conversions

Default Disc Brake Conversions

I'm rebuilding my 67 M715, with lift, bigger tires, paint job, skid plates, winch, heavy bumpers, rock sliders and all the other good parts that go along with that stuff. I'm using 42" tires on Stazworks custom two piece beadlock steel wheels. That tire - wheel combination is pretty heavy and along with all of the other weight that I'm adding to the truck, I'm afraid that the stock drum brakes will no longer be adequate for highway speed stops. Axle swaps are out of the question since I've already invested so much in the stock axles, such as lockers, custom wheels, new front spindles, etc. My plan was to order disc brake conversion kits for both axles from Uglytruckling. Well apparently I waited too long to order that part of my project because when I went to their website, which is still up, and contacted them, I got an email back telling me that he has retired and has no kits left. A real "Oh crap" moment. I wrote back telling him that I would be more than happy to pay him to send me some blue prints and any other information so that I could build my own disc brake kits for my truck, but I never heard back from him. Does anybody know of any other options for disc brakes for the M715, or does anybody have one or both of the kits, new or used, that would like to sell them? I would definitely appreciate any helpful info. Thank you.

I am of the axle swap crowd, but I keep hearing how well the very large stock drum brakes can work. I bet putting a large vacuum booster or hydroboost would make things much better for you.

Until I can come up with discs, I will probably put in a vacuum booster and dual pot master cylinder. I was planning on hydro boost with the discs, but I believe that a hydro would put out too much pressure for the wheel cylinders. The other problems with the drums is that they don't work very well when full of water and mud and the drum system weighs a lot more than discs. Thanks for the input.

I used a hydro boost with stock axles. My set up came from a '90's Astro van. I got the hydro boost with master cylinder from the same vehicle. I also did the Ford wheel cylinder conversion and chevy brake shoe conversion. Once adjusted I could easily stop as well as my 2002 Duramax that has 4 wheel disc brakes.

I could be wrong here but the vacuum or the hydro booster both do the same thing. They only make it easier to push the brake pedal. Neither one can "create" any more pressure than the master cylinder itself is capable of producing.

I do understand the desire for disc brakes but I was quite happy with my modified "stock" brakes.

there are pics of uglytruckling brakes in open discussion rar disc key. first pic is of ring that is pressed on and welded to stock hub. second set is front hubs.

I guess you never saw this ad from the 60's. Pretty well covers the brake situation.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    I guess you never saw this ad from the 60's. Pretty well covers the brake situation.

This was the laugh of my day!....Thanks!
    Is that real money?

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post

That is too funny...

The vacuum will increase the psi at each wheel cylinder considerably and the hydro boost will increase the psi at each cylinder by more than a thousand psi over the vacuum booster. That's why the pedal pressure is so much easier.
    Could you tell me a little more about the Ford cylinders and the Chevy shoes? What vehicles are they from? Do you have to do any modifications for the swap?
    Are you running the stock size tires? Thanks a lot for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieM725 View Post
    there are pics of uglytruckling brakes in open discussion rar disc key. first pic is of ring that is pressed on and welded to stock hub. second set is front hubs.
    I saw that. Thanks.