ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Stock Tech

Stock Tech Tech forums for Stock M715 series vehicles

Old April 9th, 2020, 08:51 AM
Private

m38inmaine is a Soldier
Default Tornado First Start Blew Oil Filter

Engine has been sitting for a long time, did a compression test which showed good, clean oil etc so I cleaned it up, painted, new water pump, hoses, carb job, new oil/filter etc. Started it today, she purred like a kitten, the oil pressure came up and while I was excited watching it run I notice a large pool of oil on the floor getting bigger, oil filter puffed up like a poison toad and oil blowing by the seal. I know oil is flowing up to the head as the new rear line I installed was leaking fresh oil at the fittings on both ends, this thing was really putting out the pressure. No oil came out the breather tube near the dip stick. Looking for advice on what has happened and a fix hopefully.

Than you

Mark
Old April 9th, 2020, 08:53 AM
Private

plumas.placer.miner is a Soldier

Is an oil galley plugged?
Old April 9th, 2020, 08:59 AM
Private

m38inmaine is a Soldier

I did a search after my post, I know backwards right ?, looks like common problem when the oil pump check valve is stuck, I'm headed there now.

Last edited by m38inmaine; April 30th, 2020 at 01:50 AM.
Old April 9th, 2020, 11:29 AM
Sergeant

Beast is a Soldier

Sounds like a stuck oil pressure relief valve causing the system to over pressurize. It's a little ball and spring in the bottom of the oil pump. You can get to it and remove it for cleaning while everything is still in the truck.
Old April 9th, 2020, 01:35 PM
Private

m38inmaine is a Soldier

Thanks, I pulled the oil pump cover and the relief valve stayed inside. I was able to pull it out without too much problem. Mine has a spring and what looks like a piston with a
groove cut in it and a pointed top. I gave it a light polish with 400 grit emery cloth, cleaned, oiled and re assembled. When assembled it sticks out past the surface of the pump so it was obviously stuck. I had to get some more oil and a new filter, picked it up on my way to work tonight, will give it another try tomorrow and report back.
Old April 10th, 2020, 07:54 AM
Sergeant

Beast is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
Thanks, I pulled the oil pump cover and the relief valve stayed inside. I was able to pull it out without too much problem. Mine has a spring and what looks like a piston with a
groove cut in it and a pointed top. I gave it a light polish with 400 grit emery cloth, cleaned, oiled and re assembled. When assembled it sticks out past the surface of the pump so it was obviously stuck. I had to get some more oil and a new filter, picked it up on my way to work tonight, will give it another try tomorrow and report back.
Yep you are correct, I was thinking of the one I had to clean in one of the AMC motors I have in another Jeep. They all start to blend together after a while!
Old April 10th, 2020, 10:26 AM
Private

m38inmaine is a Soldier

This time I hooked up an extra oil gauge I had so I could monitor the pressure. Started it and the oil pressure was fluctuating from 25 to 60 and the filter domed out again so I stopped it. I knew something still was not right, so as much as I hated to I pulled the oil pump. So here is what happened, not only was the relief plunger stuck(first time I took it apart), the pump to block gasket had softened up and worked it's way in to the by pass gallery on the pump not allowing the oil to go by. Where the gasket had expanded and moved into the bypass gallery there was corrosion behind it pushing it into the gallery, I suspect this happened over time. The original/new gasket is a very firm material. In my opinion it's a pretty poor design as it relies on the gasket as part of the oil gallery slot, as well the slot is very shallow. So since I did not remove the distributor or engine I figured the pump drive could only go in one way and second try she went right in, bolted it all back on, another filter and a quart of oil. Now have a nice steady 25psi on the gauge and no filter bulge, she purrs like a kitten. It will be a while before I re-install it in the truck as it's not finished yet, waiting for good weather so I can blast again. My next hurdle to pass will be any coolant leaks. Thank you for the replies, appreciate them all.

Last edited by m38inmaine; April 30th, 2020 at 01:59 AM.
Old April 14th, 2020, 05:06 PM
Grand Poobah

brute4c is a Soldier

Wow...that is good detective work on your part...but sucks to have to go through it all...

At least you found it before something worse happened...always work to do...

Thanks for posting it!

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!