Thread: Tornado First Start Blew Oil Filter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tornado First Start Blew Oil Filter

Engine has been sitting for a long time, did a compression test which showed good, clean oil etc so I cleaned it up, painted, new water pump, hoses, carb job, new oil/filter etc. Started it today, she purred like a kitten, the oil pressure came up and while I was excited watching it run I notice a large pool of oil on the floor getting bigger, oil filter puffed up like a poison toad and oil blowing by the seal. I know oil is flowing up to the head as the new rear line I installed was leaking fresh oil at the fittings on both ends, this thing was really putting out the pressure. No oil came out the breather tube near the dip stick. Looking for advice on what has happened and a fix hopefully.

Than you

Mark

Is an oil galley plugged?

I did a search after my post, I know backwards right ?, looks like common problem when the oil pump check valve is stuck, I'm headed there now.
    Last edited by m38inmaine; April 30th, 2020 at 04:50 AM.

Sounds like a stuck oil pressure relief valve causing the system to over pressurize. It's a little ball and spring in the bottom of the oil pump. You can get to it and remove it for cleaning while everything is still in the truck.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Thanks, I pulled the oil pump cover and the relief valve stayed inside. I was able to pull it out without too much problem. Mine has a spring and what looks like a piston with a
    groove cut in it and a pointed top. I gave it a light polish with 400 grit emery cloth, cleaned, oiled and re assembled. When assembled it sticks out past the surface of the pump so it was obviously stuck. I had to get some more oil and a new filter, picked it up on my way to work tonight, will give it another try tomorrow and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
    Thanks, I pulled the oil pump cover and the relief valve stayed inside. I was able to pull it out without too much problem. Mine has a spring and what looks like a piston with a
    groove cut in it and a pointed top. I gave it a light polish with 400 grit emery cloth, cleaned, oiled and re assembled. When assembled it sticks out past the surface of the pump so it was obviously stuck. I had to get some more oil and a new filter, picked it up on my way to work tonight, will give it another try tomorrow and report back.
    Yep you are correct, I was thinking of the one I had to clean in one of the AMC motors I have in another Jeep. They all start to blend together after a while!
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/