Thread: Upgrade brake master cylinder (Wagner)

Default Upgrade brake master cylinder (Wagner)

After the success of rebuilding my carb and having it run for the first time

I'm looking to fix up non working brakes.

I plan to replace the master cylinder with the Wagner #F66857 cylinder described on various threads.

I would like to use DOT 5 brake fluid.

I have read I should replace the brake switch and flex hoses to avoid them melting. I'm guessing chemically melting?

Does anyone have part numbers for these parts or are they pretty much standard?

Thank you!

Hi,
    Happy to hear that you have it running.
    Here is a link to good quality brake parts that you seek for your M715
    http://www.memphisequipment.com/M715...k/M715-Brakes/

If you use the silicone brake fluid, you will need to flush the steel lines out well, and rebuild the wheel cylinders with new rubber parts also.

I have used silicone brake fluid in my antique military vehicles for about nine years now with great success.
    But, I completely replaced everything with new or NOS parts, and all new steel lines.

Thank you Jeepdan,

I plan to put in new lines, flex hoses, wheel cylinder rubber and a mechanical brake switch instead of the hydraulic one.

I just read on wikipedia - "Using DOT 5 in a DOT 3 or DOT 4 system without proper flushing will cause damage to the seals and cause brake failure."

So I'm guessing DOT 5 by itself in a new clean system will not melt anything?

I was just worried that DOT 5 needs a more "modern" rubber otherwise it will melt seals etc?

DOT5 won't melt the rubber parts.

If the rubber brake lines are original, then they are 50 years old and should be replaced anyway.

In my experience, the wheel cylinders aren't rebuildable because the aluminum piston corrodes. Just get new wheel cylinders.

The master cylinder can and should be replaced with a dual reservoir version.

The only thing left after all that are the hard brake lines. If the lines aren't rusted out, I just fill the master cylinder and let the fluid purge the hard lines overnight. I have done 4 trucks this way and they have lasted years with both oem and newstar wheel cylinders.

Thank you for the information.

I plan to use the Wagner dual reservoir upgrade detailed in other threads.

I think I saw a post with parts numbers for new, non original (and cheaper) wheel cylinders.

I'm guessing the rubber hoses are generic?

I haven't even opened up any of brakes to see what condition they are in.

The left front brake hose is missing so I'm guessing the brakes don't work!

Thank you again for your help.

Some wheel cylinder stuffs here. Wheel cylinder cross refernece?

The E350 wheel cylinder swap is a snap. But from my own experience and reading others... if you want to get all 4 in one day you have to go to 2 different parts stores. No one stocks more then 1 axles' worth of 93 E350 rear wheel cylinders. (Single rear wheel, not Dually) Just an interesting fact, I thought it was funny.

I recently tried to find part #s or applications for modern rubber lines that will directly replace the originals. I think there's some out there but couldn't anything specific... vague references to 90 something GM something or other for the fronts and maybe some 90 something or other Jeep application for the rear hose.

Ended up getting NOS lines, putting them on next week. I got a pair of fronts from AB Linn on ebay (might have been his last in stock... sorry) and the rear from Memphis Equipment. best prices I could find.

If you find a modern part # or application please post it.
    Last edited by Von; May 29th, 2016 at 11:45 AM. Reason: additional info

Thank you for the info Von.

I contacted Memphis Equipment to check if their lines are NOS or new build. They emailed me and said they are newly made.

Just in case anyone is looking for the cylinder part numbers.

I'm planning to use RAYBESTOS WC37262 {#2037262) and RAYBESTOS WC37263 {#2037263} wheel cylinders.

WAGNER MC66857 {#F66857} Master cylinder. From ROCK AUTO.

$115 including delivery. I'm going to get these parts and have a look to see what state the brakes are in. Fingers crossed...