Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plug Numbers

Default Spark Plug Numbers

We have hashed this out before but I have seen recent questions about it. So, here is the information again for the benefit of our newer M715 owners.

I believe that the spark plugs that I originally used in my truck are Autolite 2344. These cause problems with the spark plug wires because the plug is longer than original and the wire nuts just about hit each other and are difficult to install and remove. One of our members suggested 2407 which is shorter. I have them but have not tried to install them because the truck runs so good and "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It".

FYI, Autolite information, the longer plug:

http://www.autolite.com/Productfinde...il?partNo=2344

This plug is non-resistor and a little colder.

The shorter plug:

http://www.autolite.com/Productfinde...il?partNo=2407

This plug is resistor and hotter.

I know this has been hashed out before. Here is the thread started and researched by "Beast":

Autolite 2407 have we been running the wrong plugs all along?

I got mine from NAPA and whilst they didn't have them in stock, they ordered them. I see that O'Reilly has them listed but not in stock for $7.49, which is a very good price. The local O'Reilly here has been very good at looking up and ordering things for me.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2497&ppt=C2389

I installed a set of AC-Delco 41-803 plugs last week, gapped to .030. Working great, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    I installed a set of AC-Delco 41-803 plugs last week, gapped to .030. Working great, so far.
    Do you have a stock engine? The O'Reilly website shows them as being tapered seat and non-military. Just wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Do you have a stock engine? The O'Reilly website shows them as being tapered seat and non-military. Just wondering...
    As far as I know. It does have tapered seats in it, though, which the Champion RF12-YC plugs I replaced didn't fit.

I just wanted sparkplugs that would work in my engine, I wasn't looking for the military ones. I should have specified they were civvy plugs.

If you have the military Kaiser Jeep overhead cam 230 CID engine, the head is not made for tapered seats. It has a flat surface where the plug bottoms out and is designed to have a crush washer between the head and the spark plug. You might have a problem with heat transfer between the plug and the head with heat not being transfered to the head from the plug.

Just my 2¢ though...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    If you have the military Kaiser Jeep overhead cam 230 CID engine, the head is not made for tapered seats. It has a flat surface where the plug bottoms out and is designed to have a crush washer between the head and the spark plug. You might have a problem with heat transfer between the plug and the head with heat not being transfered to the head from the plug.

Just my 2¢ though...
    When I opened the first spark plug box, I was annoyed to see a tapered-seat plug. I checked the spark plug hole, and saw a tapered seat. I checked it again with a BRIGHT flashlight & reading glasses. I'm going to check it again today, but I know a tapered spark plug seat when I see one and I swear that's what my engine has.

Indeed, sure as the sun rises and beer satisfies, this cylinder head has tapered spark plug seats.

I tried to get a decent pic, but the phone wouldn't focus, and I've given up uploading from an actual camera.

Actually, it almost looks like it has a combination of seat types, like you could use either type of plug.