Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a damaged or unusable canvas cab top

Seen your post a little late,I have my old one,I saved thinking someone might want it. Has a rip down center of top. Yours for shipping .
    DaveJ

Hi DaveJ,

I should be getting a box some time this next week with a top from eightyduece. I am not sure it it is an OEM top. I was under the impression it was a custom top. I am not sure and that is an assumption on my part. So when I find out, I may PM you and have you send it. And I will cover shipping of course. I will PM you if need be. I appreciate you responding.

Got a box full of canvas items today. Some very good stuff to work with. I have a few irons in the fire, but I don't imagine I am going to wait long on these projects. I don't get greasy from the sewing machine.
    A big thank you to eightyduece!! And all the guys willing to help. I can honestly say that it is great to be back on the board here after being gone so long.

Had a good run down to the big city to the upholstery shop yesterday. Picked up two kinds of edge trim, a very large 40 Mil clear window remnant, and a bag of black satin snaps.
    I have eightydueces top here. I will be seam ripping it out for the most accurate patterns. Time to clean the table off for this. I had planned on doing all this later this summer. I am excited about this and don't think I can wait that long. I will keep the progress posted. Fair warning, I am slow.

Well contrary to popular belief I am making some headway on the top project. I have not been able to get pictures up easily. My laptop is on it's last legs. I have to hold the SD card in hard to upload pictures and now paint won't let me resize. I am getting a new laptop online and Hopefully can post up some eye candy soon. I have the entire rear panel and the short front panel seam ripped out. I just need to extract the small side panel. I have broken three seam rippers so far and await three new HD seam rippers from West Marine. Made for sail work. And my wife wants her seam ripper back. As always.... Slow but sure.

Well after a solid month and a half and a request to cancel my order with zero replies, I received my three seam rippers from West marine. They were expensive and supposed to be stout units up to the task of working on sail's. Well they are unimpressive and look just like standard cheap Chinese units.
    I had entertained the thought a while back on using an exacto knife fitted with a number 11 blade. The top is on my work table partially disassembled and still waiting for my summer to calm down some. This project is not even close to being dead. Just delayed... And I hear eightyduece has a neat new top to post up on. I am looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully he has some detailed pictures. Onward!

'I would like to find a canvas cab top to use for patterns. To make a new top. I have an upholstery sewing machine and despite being quite the amateur, I like to try and make stuff like that. I had huge success sewing up a few headliners for Kaiser wagoneer's recently. And used to make military truck seat covers. On the canvas, I don't care if it is torn, or what ever, just not shrunk up to where it will not be accurate for patterning out.
    * I want to tackle this project later this summer after catching up on spring stuff.*
    I would gladly pay shipping so it would not cost anybody anything that was willing to donate or sell one cheap. I intend to seam rip out all or some of it of it for patterns.
    I want to make a new top out of a different material. Probable black and out of boat top material. For my truck I am building.
    If you think you might have something I could work with, please PM me.
    I will pay shipping and post the project.
    Thanks!!
    KJ'

I believe, I may help you with this project if it is still actual for you.

I appreciate your offer. I do have a top here donated by eightyduece that is on my table about 80% done for separating each panel. I would also imagine shipping costs from Australia would be costs prohibitive .
    Despite taking a long time to get to this project, it is far from not happening. I had planned on a lot of time dedicated to this endeavor when the snow was to deep outside for much to happen. I am about 2-3 weeks from mounting my cab which will allow me to focus on new top construction in warmth. Do it in the cold and it will probably flap like mad on a hot day.
    Thank you and keep an eye on this. It is no secret I am slow, but quality is much more important to me than being fast.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVEJ View Post
    Seen your post a little late,I have my old one,I saved thinking someone might want it. Has a rip down center of top. Yours for shipping .
    I sent you a PM DaveJ.. Did you get it?

If I have a heavy long seam to rip I use an razor knife (box cutter, utility knife) and slowly cut the threads while pulling the one part away from the other exposing the threads so I don't cut (in my case) the leather. This makes things go quicker than trying to pop each stitch.
    Looking forward to your pics once you get a puter that will allow you to post pics.
    Zone holster maker