I had my tank out last weekend to clean out some of the crude that keeps clogging up my fuel filters and carb. While I had it apart I planned on switching out the sender units. I have an Auto Meter fuel gauge in my M715. I have always modified a GM type sender to fit the tank in the past. I can't on this one because of the depth of the tank. The stock unit is about 6" down with a float attached that is on a 8-10" arm. I can make the GM unit mount to the stock lid and bracket. I can also make the swing arm work. My problem is the wire. I have never messed with the wire that will be submerged in gasoline. I noticed that both the stock unit and the GM unit have bare wire at both ends. Can I solder the wire once I make it the right length, leave it bare and not blow myself up next time I turn of the ignition? Is soldering the wire and covering it somehow, heat shrink, tape, silicone, any better? I'm just looking for ideas. I left it alone and filled it full of fuel. It will be a few weeks before I run it empty enough and have the time to pull it back off. Thanks.