Thread: Windshield Drain

While prepping my windshield frame for paint today. I noticed two 1/16" or smaller holes on the frame. The are located about 3" inboard of the mounting plates. They are on the hood side and are just about perfectly in line with the top of the rubber cowl gasket. I figured they were too perfectly symetrical to be rust or somebodies mistake with a drill. I just thought they were for water drainage. Anybody know what holes I am talking about and what they might be for?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I saw these to on my windshield frame, now completely prepped and painted. These are no longer holes, a quick touch with the mig gun and some minor grinding, filler, done deal. I guessed they were drain holes as well. My M-715 will most likely be garaged as long as I own it, after completion. It probably won't see that much moisture, even living in western Washington. I was filling some additional holes from the past and figured the truck really didn't need these two extra holes either. Funny how some times people notice the smallest of things. Good luck on you're windshield frame. Fisherman

Those might have been holes for rust proofing. The Army decided it needed to rust proof their trucks in the 70s. Even put out a manual on it an everything. I think those might have been the holes for the wand to go into to pray the RPing. Then left open for dranage. Just a theory though.
    Zone holster maker

I MIGed up every other hole in the frame, but left them alone. They are covered by the rubber cowl gasket and can't be seen.

I think they are to small for rust proofing.

I learned a valuable lesson painting the frame last Sunday. I had hung the frame from the roof of my carport using MIG wire through the mounting bolt holes. That left the frame upside down between waist and neck high. I am painting it a very dark blue metalic color. The lesson is this; Don't spray dark colors on the bottom side of something and expect it to be very dark when finished. I couldn't see if I had covered the bottom evenly or even enough. I even used a flashlight. I thought it was perfect. That is until Sunday night when I cut it down and turned it over to how it will sit on my truck. The entire top of the windshield frame is weak blue and the rest of it is dark blue. That is still better than the rusty white it was. I will just touch it up as I paint my way around the truck someday.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw