Thread: Research into a M715 History

Default Research into a M715 History

I discovered an "Air Force Reserve Inventory Number" on one of the data plates of my M715. It is heavily faded, but an overlay graphite scratch revealed the number.

Has anyone ever discovered an inventory number and successfully conducted research into the vehicle's history? I was attempting to discover where the vehicle was stationed and what unit it was assigned to in order to display it's correct markings.

This is what I received back from the Air Force Reserve Command about my inquiry:

"Unfortunately, we do not preserve data on ground vehicles. If any records exist, it would be the maintenance record of the vehicle. However, according to NARA requirements, those records must be disposed of after five years.

v/r
    Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command Public Affairs"

It seems to put me at a dead end.

Quote Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
    I discovered an "Air Force Reserve Inventory Number" on one of the data plates of my M715. It is heavily faded, but an overlay graphite scratch revealed the number.

Has anyone ever discovered an inventory number and successfully conducted research into the vehicle's history? I was attempting to discover where the vehicle was stationed and what unit it was assigned to in order to display it's correct markings.

This is what I received back from the Air Force Reserve Command about my inquiry:

"Unfortunately, we do not preserve data on ground vehicles. If any records exist, it would be the maintenance record of the vehicle. However, according to NARA requirements, those records must be disposed of after five years.

v/r
    Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command Public Affairs"

It seems to put me at a dead end.
    This is pretty much it, there really is no big data base info on them, once they were surplused the records were destroyed.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Default More Dead ends...

Since I knew my truck's previous owner lived in Michigan (address was on the title) I decided to poke around a little more. I found out that the Air Force Unit "927th APFLT" was a unit stationed at Selfridge Air Base in Michigan during the late 60s and early 70s. I found the museum on the base and sent inquiries.

Their first response was:

"The 927th Aerial Port Flight (APFLT)was at Selfridge during those years but they did not have a Pararescue section."

I didn't give up, and I asked more questions:

"There are no records of vehicle inventories from that far back.

The only pararescue unit at Selfridge during that time was assigned to the 305th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron of the Air Force Reserve.

There are no records, written or photographic, of Kaiser Jeep M715s stationed at Selfridge but our photo records are a work in progress."

Until I think of something else, it appears I am at another dead end.

The other things that this brings up, is should I keep the "Pararescue" markings on my truck, even though I know they are not correct? Pararescue is an elite unit; overland combat search and rescue.
    Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; August 7th, 2019 at 10:27 AM.

Why not keep the pararescue markings is my question? Plenty of guys have put their personal military groups on their trucks.
    I thought about putting my dad's Army group on my truck, and he was out of the Army before the trucks even came off the assembly line, lol. I may even put on a Space Force sticker. Some people may gripe. It's your truck, do what you like is my motto.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Quote Originally Posted by gonz View Post
    Why not keep the pararescue markings is my question? Plenty of guys have put their personal military groups on their trucks.
    I thought about putting my dad's Army group on my truck, and he was out of the Army before the trucks even came off the assembly line, lol. I may even put on a Space Force sticker. Some people may gripe. It's your truck, do what you like is my motto.
    I guess it felt sort of like wearing a medal that I didn't earn. It's an honor thing.

I know...it's my own special feature.