Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making the np205 work with twin sticks

Smile Making the np205 work with twin sticks

Hey, okay got the sticks put back together with the ebrake handle, reminded me alot of the Mouse-trap game I played as a kid (last week haha). Should be easy to drill one hole and mount to the side of the sm465.

My big question now is what position do I put the shift rods on the tcase before I attach the shift linkages from the levers? Really if someone would just say (in plain english) "put the front shift lever link to the inboard t- case rod, with that rod being in the 'all the way in' or 'all the way out' .....or something like that I could have this thing done.

I have already looked at, read and made a copy for reference, the diagram sheet from ORD with the 6 round circles saying Hi and Low and all that but It spends alot of time talking about the ability to have front wheel drive only capabilities and wellllll, thats all a little superfluous (sp) to me.

Gotta tell everyone that I've only had 2 4wd trucks and they were both single stick tcases, didn't use them all that much, and whenever I did I just read the little sticker instructions before engaging. It was pretty simple.

My biggest concern is to have the levers hooked up right, in thier right positions and be in 2wd hi to start off with. I can adjust them around and experiment with shifting once I get it all put together. I just gotta get it right this first time.

Thanks for you patience, I know this is a pretty elementary question for most of you but...it's a new one for me....thanks in advance for everyones help.

Dont Drill No Holes In The Tranny !!!!!!!!

Do you work on private planes or corporate?

There are two reasons to twin stick a transfer case... well, three in the case of the 715. 1. front wheel-only. 2. 2wd low 3. maintain stock appearances. ...

DO NOT DRILL THE TRANSMISSION! Or, go ahead, but take pics.

and here's the arrangement:
    The shift pattern is: Left stick is for the front all the way back is Hi
    Middle is Neutral
    All the way forward is Low
    Right stick is same, when normal driving you will want
    your Left stick (front) in neutral and the right (rear) in
    Hi
    **I heart Bump_r **

Thanks, I don't plan on drilling the transmission, guess it sounded that way after rereading my post, I know better than that of course, I meant drill one more hole in the mounting plate and use the stock holes already on the trans and plate.
    And I only fly the aircraft, not work on them...Helicopters actually, Medivac(Civilian EMS), Offshore oil support and right after I got out of the 101st Airborne in '85 I flew some tours in Grand Canyon and Hawaii for a year. That fixed wing stuff is dangerous! haha
    Thanks for the info, I will like having all those options but my primary concern is to just get it hooked up right the first time.

Cool LOL

Hope it helps! Good luck. I was worried! If you're not all that worried about keeping the stock look, you can get another 205 shifter and and a longer bolt and bolt both of them to the adapter boss. But that's if you're running a married trans/t-case, and I can't remember if you are.

Either way will work fine. I"m halfway thinking of using the stock levers on my Doubler, but the ORD stuff is too pretty, and I would still need a third stick LOL
    **I heart Bump_r **

One more question, should I cut the metal strap that holds the two sticks together? It looks like it keeps the sticks from being operated independantly.

FNG- Have you modified the shift rails on the NP205 to allow for twin-stick operation?

The 205 has internal interlocks that prevent independent operation of the front and rear outputs and the shift rails must be modified to allow it.

No I haven't modified the shift rails, I hope that isn't necessary just to work normally. It isn't is it?

The transfer case would still work normally but you will probably have to shift both sticks together (probably using both hands) and you would not get the options of front wheel drive only or rear wheel drive low.

The modified rails allow for the additional gear selections. I'll see if I can find a couple of related links and post them up for you.

There are a lot of sites that cover this.
    Just google for np205 modified shift rail

Here are a couple of modified NP205 shift rail links...

about half way down the page:
    http://medusa.ih8mud.com/NP205/Doubler.html

another:
    http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...on_twin_stick/