Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc brake conversion

Default Disc brake conversion

Hello everyone! I am currently in the middle of a 68 kaiser body off restore. I am having a real hard time finding a disc brake conversion for the Dana 60 and 70 axles. I have been informed of the Helitool retirement. Thank you for your time.

most people opt for newer front and rearends rather than sinking money in antique axles. that way parts are more readily available. the helitool front and rear conversion ran about $1300-1500 by the time it was all said and done and you still had the dreaded 6=lug pattern. But if you`re restoring I can see you point.

That said there are other ways to get the same result with an 8=lug pattern and discs using the old housings but its gonna cost. depends on how much you want to spend.

Actually, because of the size of the brakes, the drum brakes work really well and will lock up all four wheels on my truck. I have installed a new dual reservoir master cylinder to drive the brakes.

As already stated, conversion of stock axles to disc brakes is expensive. Swapping out the axles for modern dana 60 and 14-bolt or dana 70 is pretty straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Actually, because of the size of the brakes, the drum brakes work really well and will lock up all four wheels on my truck. ...
    I have to agree, those brakes are huge. I did not opt for the dual master cylinder but that is not to say that I disagree. I just wanted to stay "stock" so I use the original single. Dual would obviously be better.

These trucks can stop well. Unfortunately, what we have today is a population who is used to disc brakes, lots of torque, good gas economy, and... power steering. I opted to remove power steering from my truck and installed an NOS standard box.

Your mileage may vary...

I'm not trying to talk you out of disk brakes but I agree with Steve. I put hydro-boost power brakes on my last truck along with power steering. It made the truck much easier to drive. I could lock up all four wheels with my big toe.

I did the ford truck brake cylinder swap/mod and my master cylinder was from a chevy astro van. The brake shoes were modified chevy shoes. I never had any problems stopping. The hardest part is getting all the brakes adjusted so they all work together.

Unless you want to develop your own "kit" to change the stock axle to disc brakes it's cheaper in the long run to do an axle swap. If you get a Dana 60 out of 1980 or newer Chevy and the rear axle as well you already have discs up front and a rear drum conversion kit are available. If you are going to make your own kit then I would suggest starting with the calipers and rotors from a 1 ton civilian truck and engineer the rest. Good luck.
    Zone holster maker

I believe the is someone down here selling a set of stock axles with all the rebuild parts and disc conversions for about $1000...Craigslist Hartford maybe? That being said, I am swapping in modern axles...
    Is that real money?

Old thread but does anyone know what rotors Ugly Truckling was using?

I think Ray was using the 78-87 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 rotors.

Yes, thanks. I looked up 1980 K3500 on Rock Auto:
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...51849&jsn=1573
    Which looks the same as this:
    http://www.bigscaryjeep.com/M715_Disc_Brakes.html