Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrman : Wiring Diagram

Default barrman : Wiring Diagram

Wiring Diagram
    Post by barrman on Aug 14, 2006, 3:17pm

Since I have been on a paint spree the last few months, I have started looking for small parts to paint while I have the gun all loaded up for the bigger stuff.

I found my solid state turn signal box. It was on my truck when I got it with the wires screwed into it, but cut off about 4 inches later. I removed the box and stuck it in my pile of parts. I also recently came into posession of a solid state turn signal switch, (Thanks again Steve) I already had a broken one that came with my spare axle purchase that was broken it had the wiring in the exact same condition as the box. Now that I have both ends along with the wiring plugs for both. I need to figure out if they work and how to wire them up. Does anyone know which pins on each end do what? I know about Star Electric and the wiring loom they offer. I just want to make sure my components work before I go ordering just the wires.

I also while messing with my gauges this weekend discovered something about my 3-lever switch. (I got the truck with the switch installed, but the wires cut off about 3 inches behind the plug. I pulled the switch out, installed a tach in the hole and have lived without it for the last 5 years.) Anyway, it seems that was a replacement switch or something because there is another plug behind the steering column that is hooked to wires that go through the firewall. The fire department ran parallel wires for everything that either broke or they couldn't figure out. Therefore, I have a hug rats nest of wires under my hood. Some stock and some added. None marked. A diagram about what pin does what for the switch would be great. Along with what should happen for each lever moved would really be good.

Thank you.

Default compexp :

Re: Wiring Diagram
    Post by compexp on Aug 14, 2006, 4:17pm

this should have some answers:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...g/lighting.pdf
    Last edited by brute4c; December 21st, 2009 at 06:00 PM.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 14, 2006, 5:08pm

This page has the early harness detailed...but it does list the 3 lever switch pretty well...guess there may be a couple changes for the later switch...will have to edit them in:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=early_harness

The 3 lever switch functions are defined in the -20 maintenance manual, Chapter 2, section 17

If you note the harness on this page for the turn convert swap, the wires at the solid state switch are marked A, B and grd...the rest all come from the turn signal switch ....the which wire is which is down the page there...if that doesnt cover them all let me know:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?...signal_convert
    Last edited by brute4c; December 21st, 2009 at 06:03 PM.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Aug 14, 2006, 6:59pm

Thanks guys. That is what I get for not checking the online manuals recently. I printed them all out 5 years ago, pretty much memorized what was and wasn't there and seemed to forget that stuff has been added since.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Aug 15, 2006, 11:25am

This has now become a class project for my students. I printed out the schematic Rich posted the link to. My students are going to make sure all the individual lights work. Fixing the ones that don't. I have a spare housing for all the lights already in my room. We are then going to wire up the entire light system on a workbench. Once everything works or we figure out what is broken. I am going to paint all the parts, get mil spec wire, the metal tabs and connectors. Then I can rip out most of the really bad wiring under my hood and replace it with the proper stuff with the proper switches over a weekend. I will of course have to cut a hole in my dash for the 3 lever switch to fit since its original home is now occupied by a tachometer. I think there is plenty of clearance on the left of the column for it to fit and not hit the defroster duct. It will look like a Duece almost then. Any suggestions on how to cut the hole? I was thinking two cuts with a hole saw and a sawzall to connect them.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 15, 2006, 11:52am

That would be my approach...as long as the holes dont overlap already...probably dont,so the sawzall or an angle grinder to finish...

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Aug 15, 2006, 12:33pm

Tin nibbler to cut between the holes. less likley to get anything behind the dash and less viberations.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Aug 15, 2006, 7:24pm

I think the holes will overlap enough that you won't need a nibbler or sawzall. In fact, they *may* overlap a bit too much. In that case, I'd just score the two with the overlapping hole saw and then nibble them out.

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Aug 15, 2006, 9:15pm

That would be a pretty cool project to work on as a student.

How long do you think it will take them to complete the wiring?? Just want to know when they can start on mine.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Aug 15, 2006, 9:26pm

If I'm understanding you right you are going to make a new wiring harness for your truck? Do you have the amphenol connector for the main light switch as well as the ones for the turn signals or are you going to get them when you get the wire and connectors?