Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st drive!!!!

Default 1st drive!!!!

So, I bought this one about a month ago, needed a tune up something fierce, ran really rough and smoked (blueish) compression test showed #5 only 90lbs,tires held air but looked ready to pop. So I replaced the points,cap,resistor,and plugs, compression test showed #5 only 90lbs pulled the tires and wheels off, replaced the axle seals in the rear, replaced the drivers side outer wheel bearing, sandblasted the brake drums and wheels, painted the drums and had the wheels powder coated, got new tires....
    then put it all together and took her out for a VERY short trip about 1/4 mile. Smoke decreased significantly after about 10min of running (hope the rings were just stuck). FUN FUN FUN is all I can say!!!! I'll put up a couple of pics when I get them downloaded.

Hope this works....

Nice looking truck. Congrats on the first drive. There is nothing like it.
    Zone holster maker

Heyyy, congrats, nice looking truck too. The wheels really seem to stand out. What's next?

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post
    Heyyy, congrats, nice looking truck too. The wheels really seem to stand out. What's next?
    Well I bought a new soft top, and a set of seat rebuild kits, I need to repair the exhaust leak at the manifold/pipe junction, and the exhaust pipe has a few rusty holes, so I'll be replacing that too. And I have a coolant leak that looks to be coming from the water pump.....I hope it is just the gasket. So that and a new set of radiator hoses. I replaced the 3 belts already, oh I need a headlight too, blinkers don't work, I have an np205 to swap in.....
    and the list goes on, but mechanically it is looking up.

Thanks to all for the advice, insight,guidance, etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

Sorta like eating an elephant,........... one bite at a time. Cool, keep posting the pics, we like pics.

I agree with what the chief said. It's like eating an elephant. One bite at a time. Make a punch out list and then start punching them off and next thing you'll know you're truck will be the way you want it.
    Zone holster maker

Moved her into the garage, rains a comin'. I got an intake hose that goes from the air cleaner to the carb today from Memphis Equipment Co (like 30 bones, ouch) fits great, looks right too.

I want to rebuild the fuel and vacuum pump so I can toss the electric pump, who's got the kit(s), or should I find an actual shop that does it?

Nobody really has any kits that will last more than a month or so. The reason is that all the kits are NOS. Which means it is the same rubber that already broke in your current pump, is 40 years old and will rot when exposed to todays gasoline.

There is a Mopar diaphram or pump that will work with a little help. I just don't know the part number because I haven't messed with it. Sorry.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The kit is available from:

http://www.then-now.com/The_Cellar/cellar.htm

Scroll down and you will see:

"DUAL ACTION" (PUMPS FUEL and Boosts Kit: $ 49.50 Manifold VACUUM for wipers and heater controls)

Thats the one. It uses NEW not nos materials.