Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to bring her back to life

Default Time to bring her back to life

It's time to get back to work on the truck. She's been down for some time because of a rotted-out gas tank and other piddly stuff.

Last summer I got the torn-off accelerator pedal out, shortened, and re-installed, I'm not real happy with the results and would really like to replace with new.

During that episode, the throttle cable retainer flew the coop, I need to replace that, now, and make sure the throttle cable is free.

I just ordered a new fuel level sending unit and gasket from Memphis Equipment along with a new filler hose (OUCH!!).

I've got a new dual-circuit master cylinder on-hand, I need to split the system and make it work. I'm still wondering if I want to split front-to rear (most likely) or split diagonally like some German stuff is...

I need a new top, the old one is hiss-tow-reee.

Either my son or the neighbor kids or a combination of both was going through my stuff and left one of my cargo cover steel bows out, I munched it with the mower, need one of those and to rebuild the whole rack set. I've had old repurposed barn wood (red oak) planed and routed too size, now to cut/drill and (this is gonna hurt!) paint that beautiful wood.

Check fluids, bleed brakes, set tire pressure, look into that rod knock to see if I want to run it till it drops or swap in my spare engine now...

Gonna be a tough and expensive summer.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

I would do the brakes front/rear. Gonna be alot of extra work to split it diagonally. You should plan on replacing the brake hoses front/rear as well if they are oem.

I'll definitely check the hoses and steel lines very carefully. I've retro'd those Ford slaves, so off-the shelf Ford hoses.

Quote Originally Posted by bump_r View Post
    Gonna be a tough and expensive summer.
    Everything I have touched on my M715 has taken twice as long as I expected to do and has been at least three times the cost I had envisioned.

Always find myself diving deeper that I expected, should have learned by now that a 50 year old rig is gonna be full of issues. Every project just creeps into half a dozen others ...

Good luck!
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

Thanks, 12998. I've had this truck for over 20 years, I hear you loud and clear. That new gas tank's gonna cost me 71% of what I paid for the truck itself!

You must have got a smokin great deal on your ride!

I need a new tank too but mine isn't exactly restored stock so I'm not worried about using something cheap. I try to spend the money I have available on stuff I really need and the rest I just make do. Thinking that I will try a tank from a bronco or something similar and put it where the spare sits. That way I get a much bigger than stock tank and moves some weight to the rear. These trucks ride so much better with a bit of weight in them.

Quote Originally Posted by 12998 View Post
    You must have got a smokin great deal on your ride!

I need a new tank too but mine isn't exactly restored stock so I'm not worried about using something cheap. I try to spend the money I have available on stuff I really need and the rest I just make do. Thinking that I will try a tank from a bronco or something similar and put it where the spare sits. That way I get a much bigger than stock tank and moves some weight to the rear. These trucks ride so much better with a bit of weight in them.
    Stay tuned... i'm putting in a 80's diesel GM blazer tank in mine... (brand new... with new tank, pickup and straps will be around $180)
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Venom
    Curious if this tank swap was straight forward
    Are you going to do a write up?

Yea I will be.... will be a minimal amount of fabwork I believe but... painted Cummins engine and Ford trans and T-case are together and ready to drop into powdercoated frame.... next up is fuel tank.... wont be long.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Someone should come up with a list of fuel tank swaps ...
    I'll have to look into that