Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Mechanical fuel pump

Blog Entries

Default Help: Mechanical fuel pump

So my stock 230 quit running. Found that fuel was no longer being pumped to the engine. Removed the civi 6510 pump and sent it to Then-And-Now to be rebuilt. Pump came back looking better than new. Installed.

Now the fun part .... what the hell is the magic to get this thing to pump? I literally have the intake hose going from a gas can straight to the pump. I sucked gas all the way through to the glass filter at the carb. I primed the carb through the bowl stack. Runs only as long as the fuel in the carb then dies. I can see from the clear line I put in the gas can the pump isn't pumping. I also verified the pump cam is going up and down in the engine.

IT JUST WON'T PUMP FUEL. What am I doing wrong????

Also anyone have a part # for an electric pump that works for th stock 230?

I always test the pump by running a clean can of fuel to the input and the output line empties into a empty water bottle. crank the engine and fuel should pump into the bottle.

from your description it sounds like the pump isn't getting primed. Might try filling the suction line with fuel before connecting to the pump.

I usually strap my fuel can to the bumper. If it is on the ground you might not have enough to pull the fuel through the line. If you have any air leaks in the suction line that will also keep fuel from flowing.

Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    ... If you have any air leaks in the suction line that will also keep fuel from flowing.

Good suggestion, you might try that. Air is thinner than gas (Yes, I know you knew that ) and that pump will suck air faster than fuel.

Worse case scenario, try working the pump manually by hand.

Blog Entries

My problem persists.

- I used a mighty-vac to pull the fuel to the filter by the carb. So no obstruction.
    - I also confirmed the pump works. Took it off and pumped by hand and gas shot all over me! LOL.
    - I confirmed the dowel like rod in the engine that pushes the manual pump lever is moving in and out when the engine is turned over.

One thing I did notice is that when I pull the fuel to the carb it doesn't stay at level .. it drains back down the system. There also does seem to be a lot of air when the Mighty-vac pulls. But I've been through the whole system. SS tank -> SS line all the way to the pump. Only place I can think would be the SS flex line at the frame motor transition.

I test the fuel pump using a 5 gal can affixed to the bumper with a fuel line going to the inlet to the fuel pump. Disconnect the fuel pump outlet at the fuel filter and run the fuel into a water bottle. crank the engine. once fuel is pumping it should fill the bottle in about 10 to 15 seconds of cranking.

Blog Entries

Default Solved!!!!!

Thanks for all that offered help. Mystery finally resolved.

- Original Fuel pump = BAD
    - Ebay Rebuilt Fuel Pump = BAD
    - Then & Now Original Fuel Pump Rebuild = BAD!!!!

- Brand new Fuel Pump sitting on shelf in well house = GOOD!!!!

Long story short I have so many parts I didn't know I had a new fuel pump. I buy parts when I see them. It was brand new in the box, gasket, paperwork and all. Hooked up the intake side, pumped by hand three times and POW out shot gas.

So I now have two broken civilian fuel pumps that needs rebuilding, not counting the Original Military one .... very disappointed in Then & Now. I assume this is an aberration. Complete SS fuel system from Tank to Carb including SS flex line at the frame motor transition. I better NEVER have a fuel delivery problem again! LOL

Wow...that sucks about Then and Now...any contact with them to see if they will do anything about compensation for that?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Wow...that sucks about Then and Now...any contact with them to see if they will do anything about compensation for that?
    Hope it hasn't been a long time, but I would try it. Rubber parts can dry out if not kept sealed up.

I bought one of Then and Now's rebuild kits about three years ago, and did the rebuild on my military pump myself back then. I would highly recommend their kits to anyone.

To all: Next time try Authur Gould Rebuilders in Kings Park, New York. They did my fuel pump and my water pump. Here is their website: http://arthurgouldrebuilders.com/

And no, they didn't break my water pump pulley. They did a perfect job.

Blog Entries

I may have spoken too soon. So the pump works I confirmed that by manually pumping it. When I put it on the truck ... it does not work. I'm am almost certain now there is something wrong inside the timing chain cover that pushes the pump arm up and down.

I looked at the manual and could not find a diagram that showed the parts that operate the fuel pump arm. Can anyone point we to that. Or better yet does anyone know what that looks like if you look up in the cavity the arm is supposed to go in. A pic would be GREAT! When I do that all I see is a round dowel thing that goes in and out. I think something may have broken off the end of that. I don't think it is reaching the pump arm.