Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: M715 Hauler / Crawler Build

Default M715 Hauler / Crawler Build

I picked up a 68' M715 that’s lived most of its life in Chico, Ca. I have been driving past this thing for the last 10 years and finally decided to stop by and see if it was for sale. Long story short … I brought her home. I am trying to stick with the 1 ton hauler / crawler theme and keep it pretty junk yard / budget friendly. It's pretty much rust free so I don’t plan on doing any body work.

Build plans are as follows (subject to change at any time):
    454 BBC
    SM465
    NP205
    CUCV Dana 60 SOA
    Undecided on rear axle (14 bolt, Dana 60, Dana 70)
    Hydro assist steering
    40 x 13.5 x 17 (Goodyear MTRs, Toyo MTs, BFG KM2s)
    Roll cage
    And a bunch of other stuff

Towing

Resting Place

Bought this with a bunch of related parts

Rebuilt outers

Tear down

Stock leaf springs over axle mockup

Mockup 1

Mockup 2

More pics

Flex

Swing Shackle Frame Eye

Front Spring Hanger 1

Front Spring Hanger 2

Front Spring Hanger 3

More more more !!!!

454 BBC has been rebuilt twice so its .060" over now. It was pulled from a welding truck 15 years ago just after a fresh rebuild because it wasn't running well. I just pulled the valve cover to find the lock nut on the rocker arm had backed off and the rocker popped off the push rod for an intake valve. Hopefully that’s it. We'll see as I get further into it.

Block

Block 2

Clutch and Flywheel

Peanut port heads

Aluminum Intake and 600 cfm Holley carb

Nice build so far. Keep the pics coming.

BTW, here's your truck at the GSA auction:

[IMG][/IMG]

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Truck looks great. Did you put the new differential cover and high steer on the axle or did you buy it that way? What gearing will you run?

The shackle flip and front spring mounts look very similar to what I did. Rather than use the stock springs I used 2inch lift 3/4 ton Chevy lsprings for a little more flex. Did you pull a couple of the leaves out of the stock spring pack?

Keep us posted on the build.

Scott, you amaze me how you find this stuff!

Nice!.....Wish we had anything rust free out here....
    Is that real money?

Scott,

Thanks for the picture, pretty recognizable with a gallon of white paint splattered across the front.

Troop,

All the extras were part of a package deal with the axle: CUCV Dana 60, Spartan Locker, new calipers, new brake pads, 2x TRE's and 2x drag link ends w/ tube adapters, WFO high steer kit, Ruff Stuff Diff cover, DOM Tubing, ubolts, spring plates and hardware, wheels and tires (rollers).

I should have elaborated a little more… I tried to reuse the stock leaf packs with 2 leaves pulled but it still sat too high for my liking. I almost copied your front hanger design but I don’t have a great way of drilling accurate holes in my garage. So I opted for the 4x4 tube and WFO universal spring hangers. I got a set of Dodge W350 leaf springs at the Pick and Pull. They are just about flat at ride height and the rear spring eye is flipped to the bottom side of the leaf pack. This gives some more clearance to the frame, lets me sit lower and keep 4-6 ° of caster.

Got some work done last weekend… pulled the engine, transmission, transfercase, heater/blower, wiring, brake lines and fuel lines. I just finished my home made A frame, worked really well. Also picked up the SM465 married to an NP205 from a 79’ chevy.

Probably should note that I'm building a 3D model using Solidworks. I use Solidworks to come up with a design and work out most of the kinks before I actually start building pieces. Here is the current state of the model. The cab, bed and rear half of the frame are not dimensionally accurate just yet. The forward half of the frame and suspension are spot on.

Wow - you can work magic like that on Solidworks but you don't have an accurate way to drill holes! Right with you there except I can't even play with Solidworks. Anxious to see how your build progresses as I'm about to begin something similar. Keep up the good work!