Thread: barrman : Green All Over

Default fisherman :

Re: Green All Over
    Post by fisherman on Oct 3, 2006, 7:26pm

Awesome paint job, on the truck too.

Default 503m715 :

Post by 503m715 on Oct 3, 2006, 8:04pm

I am glad to see someone else is newly green. It looks good.

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Oct 3, 2006, 8:35pm

Tim the tool box has to go.............

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Oct 4, 2006, 8:03am

Here is a shot I took last night of Pistolnuts version of my truck a few years ago loaded up again.

I measured the hitch distance from the ground like it sits and then again when I unhooked. The hitch rose 2-1/4". The truck sure doesn't look or drive like the rear end is down that much. Matter of fact, it drove really smooth.

I know the tool box needs to go or change colors. I plan to remove the roll bar as soon as I can make or find a stock top bow to hold my bikini top up. I plan to use the bows off one of Pistolnuts other trucks as a pattern to make an exact copy.
    Then I am going to try and make a "bikini bow" set up that will allow me to get in and out without having to duck. But, Jennifer is convinced it is a "safer" truck with the roll bar installed, so it has to stay for at least another week.

I was thinking about a completely inside the bed rails tool box that I can paint green. Kind of like what Joe already has in his truck. I just don't want to spend that kind of money right now. I really don't want to paint this one right now either since I plan to remove it and use it on a yet to be purchased late model daily driver/tow rig.

But, just so I know. What kind of prep do I need to do to shiny aluminum to make paint stick to it?

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Oct 4, 2006, 8:05am

Sermis, you come across stuff that could work as a full width inside the bed rails tool box. Please keep an eye out for me. The usual payment method will have to be used.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Oct 4, 2006, 10:05am

Tim, how many times has the rollbar seen use in the time you have owned the Kaiser? I know its better to have and not need than to need and not have, but if your going to go for a stock looking truck, take it off.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Oct 4, 2006, 12:09pm

I know that and you know that. Transferring that knowledge to Jennifer is not so easy. Plus, I will use the roll bar mounted bed lights a lot this weekend at the Texas FE. So, the lights and Jennifer are why it is staying on at least until next week.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Oct 4, 2006, 8:45pm

Doug did a bang-up job finding a site on painting galvanized metal! Unfortunately, only anodized aluminum was listed there.

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on Oct 5, 2006, 12:49am

Just a guess here, but that purdy tool box might have clear anodizing on it.

Oh, and tim, show the little lady the pic of a rolled 715 in the "in service" gallery. (After it's available again, of course) The one I'm thinking of didn't look bad at all, and you could say the stock stuff is plenty of protection. You'd be lying, but...

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Oct 5, 2006, 8:36am

Adam, is that the picture of the truck that fell off the trailer and rolled down the highway?

Rich, I made the tailgate 5 years ago out of 1/8" diamond plate with 1"x2" rectangular thick wall tubing. I did the hinges a year ago out of 1/4" thick plate and made the chain latching set up sometime last fall.