Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a damaged or unusable canvas cab top

4 degrees last night and the night before. Cracking rubber bands here!
    I finished the second top. It took me just as long and I was able to make some needed changes. New and improved. This top goes to eightyduece to install on his truck and test it out. Then provide me with feedback on any issues or ideas. Because he sent me the OEM top I needed to tackle this idea. I could not have done it without his efforts.

The corners fit better. I have remade the pattern 3 times now. I discovered ending the bottom corner seam like a bell bottom pant leg makes it lay on the corner just great. I fought that for a while. One of many changes. So is that a quarter in the picture you say>? Why, yes it is! How about a little Zone history for all the new (er) folks. Back 10-12 even 15 years ago, when the BS board was pages long with daily ramblings, jokes, ribbing, shocking comments from Sisson, phrases like "metric poop ton" were common. A perfect description describing great quantities of everything from piles of surplus tires to how much dessert you had at Thanksgiving dinner. Pictures were posted with the obligatory quarter present. For size reference. A long ongoing joke really. I forget who started that. It was fun. It made for some of the best memories from that time era. Times were good. So in good humor, I am bringing back the quarter. At least for today.

Cool new metal buckles. Strong and they lock well. The first top got plastic buckles. They pull apart way to easy. This is a big improvement.

This yellow tape will not ruin the window. The blue masking tape left a ghost image and cause 4 broken needles trying to replace it in top number 1. If any of you make a top, cover the window like this or you will find a metric poop ton of scratches after all the handling.
    What no quarter?

So I am going to make another. But I want to get my rocker replaced on the cab first. Then apply some learning to the third one. I put the A in amateur.
    Grateful for it all.
    Cheers...

Fantastic work sir! Let us know if you want to start selling them.

I will do that. Seems I am always behind what my goals are.

Pretty dang impressive. The real test is when I get it on my truck and do 95mph down the highway...wait maybe 70. Haha, I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. I will post pictures. Thanks again

I sent you a long email. Sorry as I had just finished 4 big cups of coffee.
    I will get it boxed tomorrow, and probably run it into town Tuesday. Judging how strong the material is, I'd say 110 MPH should be OK.

Blog Entries

WOW!! that is super nice!!!! Sign we up!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    So is that a quarter in the picture you say>? Why, yes it is! How about a little Zone history for all the new (er) folks. Back 10-12 even 15 years ago, when the BS board was pages long with daily ramblings, jokes, ribbing, shocking comments from Sisson, phrases like "metric poop ton" were common. A perfect description describing great quantities of everything from piles of surplus tires to how much dessert you had at Thanksgiving dinner. Pictures were posted with the obligatory quarter present. For size reference. A long ongoing joke really. I forget who started that. It was fun. It made for some of the best memories from that time era. Times were good. So in good humor, I am bringing back the quarter. At least for today.
    That's funny, when I took some pics of the 1/72 M715 and M725 models I built a few years ago, I made sure to still add the obligatory quarter in a pic for those old time Zoners.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

That thing looks sharp. Honestly, I'd bet that you'll get around to selling them before I hear back from New Life.

As I've said, if you're willing to just cut the panels (out of something cheap), I would pay for the materials, your time putting this together, and shipping, so I can make one here. I totally understand if you can't, but excellent job on this one.

That picture is so awesome! Very cool stuff Dave! And the quarter even. Even the wife laughed when I showed her. Gotta love it.

Tops... Hmm I picked up new masonite boards yesterday to get the changes made in the patterns. If I wait that won't be good and starting over is a pain. I will probably get started on another soon. Don't know when, but hopefully soon.
    So Ebay has a newly sewn green canvas top for sale. it was 375.00
    I can say that with the much more modern and better material that any tops I make will probably be just under or around double that. Keep in mind the Twillfast sells for 135 a yard. 3 yards needed with no mistakes and an average of 5-6 days to make. I don't know if that will scare anyone off stating that. But it should probably be said.

Looks like they chose a bigger window also. If these guys would make them in black, they could probably do it cheaper than I could.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M715-Kaiser...YAAOSwZj1gCGYX

Thanks for telling me about this thread, Al. Looks like really nice fabric!
    -- Tim Taylor