Thread: 24V to 12V converter switched power source?

Default 24V to 12V converter switched power source?

I'm putting a converter in to run some 12V stuff, wiper motors probably, some LED lights, blower motor...

It wants a switched 24+ source. I can't decide between wiring it to the ignition switch or running it off the batteries with a separate switch of its own. Could the ignition switch (I have a 'keyed' replacement) handle a 30A converter? It would be nice to not have a second switch.

No, it didn't come with instructions, but there is a spec sheet online. Yes, I did read the GIANT 24-12 dual charging systems thread. It made my whole head hurt, but didn't discuss the converter power source.

Thoughts? Facts? WAGs?

Thanks!
    1968 M-715 w/1100R16s on Stockton wheels, H3 headlights, 2bbl upgrade...

The ignition switch won't handle 30A. You need to put in a relay that is operated by the ignition switch.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    The ignition switch won't handle 30A. You need to put in a relay that is operated by the ignition switch.
    Oh yeah! That was the third option I forgot about! And apparently the correct one. So any 24V N.O. relay? Like a starter solenoid?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

You want a relay that has a 100% duty cycle. Most starter solenoids are intermittent duty.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    You want a relay that has a 100% duty cycle. Most starter solenoids are intermittent duty.
    I've been researching some relays. I noticed that those solenoids are about 10x or more overkill on the amps. I didn't think about the duty cycle being so short on them though.
    I think I have settled on a relay to try, I'll try to find out if it actually says continuous duty in the specs before I order some.
    Thanks kwai! I'm going in the right direction now. I think.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk