Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First drive with my 715

Default First drive with my 715

I finally came home for my R&R and got to play with my truck, after getting a few new batteries in the truck and some fresh fuel, it fired right up. It smokes pretty good and needs a lot of TLC but over all its very solid. once I got it running my dad came out and we lifted the hood and noticed none of the belts were turning. The crank pully broke right off. The bolt was still in the pully and the threads were fine both on the bolt and crank. I guess its time to build that 496 big block I have been looking at. Photos coming shortly.

So much for R&R!

AB Linn has them for a reasonable price. If he is out of stock I have a new spare.

Warthog
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wart Hog View Post
    AB Linn has them for a reasonable price. If he is out of stock I have a new spare.

Warthog
    Yeah, that'd get you up and running while building the big block. It's a lot nicer to be able to drive and play around with your truck while you're working on it.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Did the bolt break too or just the pulley? Man that is weird...wonder what gives....

Its no big deal that it broke, I am going back to work in Afghanistan Sunday so I wont be able to play with it much anyway. I am going to order a new one anyway just to get it running right. The bolt is fine as well as the threads on the crank. I never looked at it before I started it up but I think its weird that it would just back out like that.

Make sure that the key is still in the crankshaft for proper indexing when you put on the new dampener/pulley.

Yeah my dad has worked a parts counter for about 30 years now and has never seen that happen either. I have a new balancer coming from AB Linn and I got a new bolt. From what I can tell it appeared that the blot wasnt threaded all the way in leaving some play in the balancer to cause it to work it self out. I just hope the threads on the crank are okay. I will get it up on the hoist again Friday to check it out.