Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible to 3D Print a 1920 Float?

And you can't create either of those with a 3D printer (yet).

The starters can be rebuilt.

Obscessing over tie rods might be useful.

Get Ditto2 silicone mold-making compound from Rio Grande, some 2-part urethane, and cast one. BigBlueSaw can supply one-off waterjet cutting for the bracket. That'd be fun origami!

I think I've heard of people using motorcycle tank coat to re-seal a waterlogged float...

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    And you can't create either of those with a 3D printer (yet).

The starters can be rebuilt.

Obscessing over tie rods might be useful.
    In my experience, parts like starters can be too far gone to be rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    Get Ditto2 silicone mold-making compound from Rio Grande, some 2-part urethane, and cast one. BigBlueSaw can supply one-off waterjet cutting for the bracket. That'd be fun origami!

I think I've heard of people using motorcycle tank coat to re-seal a waterlogged float...
    After learning these nitrophyll floats won't become fuel saturated, I'm scratching that one off my list.

When I opened up my spare carb, I had my fingers crossed for a brass float which I would think would be easy to repair with a soldering iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    ...When I opened up my spare carb, I had my fingers crossed for a brass float which I would think would be easy to repair with a soldering iron.
    Good question. But the question that I have without rereading all of the threads here, "Do one of our members need a float or are we just looking for spares?"

As I was preparing to type this, I thought that maybe one could go to a salvage yard and pull the 1920 Holley carburetor off of a "Slant Six" MoPAR engine. Then it occurred to me that they have not made that engine for decades.

Darn, I must really be getting old!!!

Seriously, maybe there were brass floats on some of the carburetors. I don't remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Good question. But the question that I have without rereading all of the threads here, "Do one of our members need a float or are we just looking for spares?"

As I was preparing to type this, I thought that maybe one could go to a salvage yard and pull the 1920 Holley carburetor off of a "Slant Six" MoPAR engine. Then it occurred to me that they have not made that engine for decades.

Darn, I must really be getting old!!!

Seriously, maybe there were brass floats on some of the carburetors. I don't remember...
    From what I remember reading, the early ones were made of brass.

I think you'd have to look pretty hard to find a salvage yard that even had a slant-6; it took quite a while to find a replacement fender for my '93 Cummins in '06, and that was in WY, where every other vehicle is a pickup. I asked someone at one of the yards I struck out at, and he said when the demand drops off on a certain vehicle, they get crushed pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    From what I remember reading, the early ones were made of brass.

I think you'd have to look pretty hard to find a salvage yard that even had a slant-6; it took quite a while to find a replacement fender for my '93 Cummins in '06, and that was in WY, where every other vehicle is a pickup. I asked someone at one of the yards I struck out at, and he said when the demand drops off on a certain vehicle, they get crushed pretty quick.
    No doubt, you are spot on. When I think of things from the past, it is as though they were a week of a month ago. I guess it was in the 70s when we went to a junk yard (as they were called then) that was owned by George Wise in Clarksville, MD. He was called, "Dollar George" because most anything was, well, a dollar! He had a pile of engines that were snatched out of the cars that were going to the crusher. Many good parts were harvested there by me and my friends.

Side note: His nephew, Ellis Leon Wise opened a junk yard next door. There was a chain link fence separating the two. When I complained to Ellis that his uncle next door didn't charge as much, he said to me, "He is Dollar George; I is Two Dollar Ellis!" Some unscrupulous acquaintances of mine (notice I didn't say friends!) would harvest parts in Ellis' yard and throw them across the fence. Then, they would go to George's yard and buy them from him.

The world never changes.

Seriously, if those yards were still there, you could get an entire Holley 1920 and I too would bet that the early carburetors had brass floats.

Slant six, and ford 6 cyl. Engines were used on farm equipment as well, like swatters and haybines. I found a couple carbs at a tractor swap meet last summer, yes a little different linkages and other extremity parts but the floats and bowls are the same.....

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by bullmoose View Post
    Slant six, and ford 6 cyl. Engines were used on farm equipment as well, like swatters and haybines. I found a couple carbs at a tractor swap meet last summer, yes a little different linkages and other extremity parts but the floats and bowls are the same.....

Lee
    Good to know. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by bullmoose View Post

Lee
    Yeah, a buddy of mine found a replacement for the 2.5 Iron Duke in his walleye boat out of a New Holland swather.

We have a wood chipper with a Ford 300-6 next to the shop in Wheatland. Much beer-fuelled talk about putting that engine in a 715...