Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New to this Forum and M715 Ownership

Default New to this Forum and M715 Ownership

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and to M715 ownership. I recently purchased a non-running vehicle that was fairly complete and rust free. I was hoping to restore it to original military condition but have run into a few problems. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.

1. The dash plates show a model M 715 E-1 - Is there any significance to "E-1"?

2. The dash plate shows a VIN # of 36151 and a delivery date of 1970 - I thought production of these vehicles ended in 1969 why does mine say 1970? Is there another place on the vehicle to to find the production date?

3. After diagnosising why the engine would not run I discovered that it had broken an exhaust valve in the Number 6 cylinder which in turn knocked a gaping hole in the top of the piston. I pulled the cylinder head and the valve seat is chewed up but looks repairable and I have not disassembled the lower part of the engine to determine the extent of the damage. The engine turns over without any significant noises and I even had it running briefly on 5 cylinders before discovering the damage. Can I get parts to rebuild this engine? Seems like most people are swapping in new engines rather than repairing the 230's but since this vehicle is so complete I would like to restore it to original condition if it is economically possible.

Thanks for any help in advance. I have discovered a lot of information on this forum already and look forward to learning much more as I continue with my restoration.

Default Some Pictures of My Truck

Last edited by Binford; December 29th, 2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Embedded pics into the post

First off I'd check the VIN stamped in the frame for a match

Frame rail serial number stamping locations

There is another E-1 model in the vin registry. Serial number 36153. Be interesting to know more about the E1 designation.

Here is a picture of the bad piston

Argh!

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    There is another E-1 model in the vin registry. Serial number 36153. Be interesting to know more about the E1 designation.
    Interesting indeed Kwai

The pdf linked below shows the "E1" designation as a variant to the base model in most cases.

No info on the "E1" for the M715 but it shows many other E1 varients.

Just search the doc for E1

http://www.warwheels.net/images/USWh...revithick3.pdf

Something different about this truck.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Interesting find. I'd be curious to see if it has the standard NP200 or a 205 transfer case. Any other unusual additions or changes as well.

It was rumored that there were more than the original 30,000 vehicle contract called for. Wonder if this could be one of those. Or maybe one of the ones sold to the public right after the contract expired. Someone a few months back posted a magazine article that profiled an M715 that was sold through a Jeep dealer in the early 70's.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The differences that I have noticed so far is the Parking brake lever is on the driverside of the transmission tunnel rather than with the transfer case shift levers, the battery box is a long narrow box mounted to the back of the cab rather than between the seats and it has an electric fuel pump mounted to the outside back of the cab. All of these items appear to be stock from the factory. Although the truck is painted red now it definitely was olive drab at one time and was in the military. It had a carbuerator rebuild sticker from Fort Ord Maintenance depot dated 1982. I will inspect the transfer case to determine what model it is. I will post some pictures of these items when I get a chance.

Can you post a few pictures of the inside of the cab and the drivetrain especially the transfer case and rear axles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocntj View Post
    Hi All,
    3. After diagnosising why the engine would not run I discovered that it had broken an exhaust valve in the Number 6 cylinder which in turn knocked a gaping hole in the top of the piston. I pulled the cylinder head and the valve seat is chewed up but looks repairable and I have not disassembled the lower part of the engine to determine the extent of the damage. The engine turns over without any significant noises and I even had it running briefly on 5 cylinders before discovering the damage. Can I get parts to rebuild this engine? Seems like most people are swapping in new engines rather than repairing the 230's but since this vehicle is so complete I would like to restore it to original condition if it is economically possible.

Thanks for any help in advance. I have discovered a lot of information on this forum already and look forward to learning much more as I continue with my restoration.
    From what I've read, I believe a full rebuild could run you anywhere from $2-3k in just parts. The stuff is all available, but it's expensive. You gotta really want it to be original to justify it.

If it was me, I'd throw a Chevy 292 in there. It kind of fits with the theme of the original engine.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812