Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hummer H1 wheels recentered with M715 wheel centers?

Default Humvee rim conversion verus stock 900x16 stock tires

I have a chance to get 5 Humvee rims and tires for $100. My question is do I take a chance of cutting the centers out of the only 4 m715 rims that I have or just save up and get a set of 9.00 16 tires. Another question would centers cut out of flat stock work?
    Fred Gordon
    Frederick, Ok.
    yso_48@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    I have a chance to get 5 Humvee rims and tires for $100. My question is do I take a chance of cutting the centers out of the only 4 m715 rims that I have or just save up and get a set of 9.00 16 tires. Another question would centers cut out of flat stock work?
    That sounds like a good price if the tires and wheels are good. But...

I personally would never attempt cutting my only good wheels to try modifying some other wheels. I started out with 12 wheels so I had plenty of room for error. I still have 2 sets of 4 wheels to use as stock if needed. Ultimately I plan to have 5 wheels stock and 5 wheels tubeless type. I'm hoping the tubeless wheels will also be double bead lock.

Subybaja included some links in post #24 of this thread for some centers. To be honest I'm starting to think I may end up going that direction. I also like the looks of the finished wheel better anyway. I'm looking at these:

After getting this far into this I know I would never attempt to cut my own centers out of flat stock with the tools and skills I have. If you can get them cut on a water jet table or precision cut some other way that would be different. I would also think the flat stock would be 1/2" thick minimum.

The stock wheels are lug centric. That means the wheel is centered on the axle by the lug nuts. The holes in the center are tapered to ensure the wheel gets centered when the lug nuts are tightened. Any center used would need to do the same I would think.

I am having a tough time getting the first wheel centered and running true. Nothing I had been trying seems to be repeatable or accurate.

Actually just this evening I got my first wheel aligned and I tack welded the M715 center into it. It has almost no wobble (about .005) and is about .010 out of round. It took me many tries and lots of frustration to get it that close with basic hand tools and a dial indicator.

Wow, that's really good work! I've read the acceptable limit for aftermarket steel wagon wheels is .080 out!

Good work on this project. I wonder if cutting the centers out by keeping the portion of the wheel the centers were welded to would have given you enough material to work with without adding the bar stock. I know it really is too late for that but maybe for future reference, how thick is the stock wheel material and is there any taper?

Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
    I wonder if cutting the centers out by keeping the portion of the wheel the centers were welded to would have given you enough material to work with without adding the bar stock.

and is there any taper?
    That is a good idea that I hadn't considered. After looking at that idea I don't think it would work for two reasons. First the wheel material is less than 3/16" thick so I think it would still be too small to fill the gap and secondly the inside of the wheel is so rusty on these wheels I wouldn't dare trust them.

Also, I haven't looked yet but I don't recall any taper on the stock wheel where the center is welded.

No updates lately as I haven't had any time to work on anything. I'm hoping this weekend I'll get some more time to play with this.

I've spent a few more hours in the garage this weekend. I have three wheels tacked together and running pretty true. I haven't actually put the dial indicator on the last two but can see by eye they are running pretty smooth. I will dial indicate them before final welding and will try getting pictures or maybe even a video of that.

The fourth (and last one I was working on) is not working out so well.

The center itself seems to be tweaked. I bolted just the center onto the hub and can see quite a bit of axial run-out on it. I can see approximately 1/8-3/16" difference in the wheel as it rotates. (I may need to get it machined round.) I will probably cut another center out of another wheel first. Maybe I'll be able to use this one as a spare anyway.

Sorry no pics this time but I'll get some soon.

Watch out for heat when you're burning them in. I read some guy doing H1 centers did 1", then an 1" 180* off, etc, to prevent warping. I know I've destroyed some stuff getting happy with the wire gun...

Thanks. Yea I've read that warping can be an issue. I was planning on staggering the beads to avoid excessive heat.

I got home from work today with an idea to put a flapper disk on my small grinder and line that up on the center. It worked quite well.

I held the grinder firmly on a platform I built for something else years ago. I lined the flapper wheel up to the wheel center at a low spot and started the grinder. I spun the wheel until it hit the flapper wheel and ground down the high spots on the wheel center in a short time. It is running pretty true now.

I haven't set the dial indicator up yet but am optimistic I will have all four wheels within a couple thousands any direction before I weld them up.

When I made my own wider rims for my deuce, I mounted the rims on a trailer axle. Very easy, and they were held true by the studs etc.
    I found it easy to spin the rim to true it up and keep myself in check.
    Spot welded in plenty of places, followed by short beads before laying down some more welds evenly spaced.

Granted, those rims have a lot more meat to them, but they came out great!

I found an ad on my local craigslist for a certified welder. He is a retired auto mechanic and is doing welding work as a hobby now. I called him today to see if he would finish my wheels for me. He asked me to drop them off on Monday and he would take a look at them to see if it was something he was willing to take on.

I have trouble welding now because I can't see well enough to weld anymore. I've tried welding with my cheaters on but it doesn't seem to make enough difference.

I've never been a good welder but my welds didn't always look bad like they do now.

If this guy is willing to weld my wheels up I'm probably going to pay him to do it so I know it's done right.

I'll get some pictures when they are complete.