Thread: Chevy V8 Flywheel Interchange

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A bit of NP200 tech trivia

First off, I know that the SB 400 and the BB 454 were externally balanced and can't be used on the rest. I asked last summer if anybody knew about the 6.5 diesel flywheel and if it can be used on the gas engines and got mixed answers. If somebody wants to jump in about that please do so.

I have a 396 that money allowing I want to put in my M715. But, in the mean time if my 230 continues to leak oil like it did yesterday, I may need to do something in between the two. I have a 283 I built up years ago, it loves to rev beyond 6,000 RPM, and it is just sitting in my shop waiting for somebody to buy it or to be put into something. When possible, I'm cheap. I don't want to have to buy a flywheel for the 283, use it for a few months and then buy another for the 396. Will they take the same flywheel?

I went to the CarQuest in town today and they told me that they can only sell me a ring gear for something that old. No flywheel available. Will a 90's 350 flywheel work on my 396, I know it will on the 283? Or for that matter one for the new SBII 5.3 or 6.0 engines? Please don't send me a NAPA number. I like NAPA just not the guy who owns the only other parts store for 30 miles around. That is another story that may see the BS board someday.

Last thing. I have the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate from the '93 6.5 diesel I got when I bought my NV4500. If the flywheel won't work, will the clutch and pressure plate? They only have about 5,000 miles on them before the 6.5 put a rod through the block.

Thanks
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

First, a 90's flywheel won't work on either the 283 or 396. since 1986 chevy used a one piece rear main seal that seals on the rear crank flange and the flange has a different bolt circle than previous designs. any chevygasoline v-8 before 86 that is internally balanced (400 and 454 are externally balanced) can use the same flywheel. the 6.5 flywheel won't work for three reasons 1 it is balanced wrong. 2 wrong bolt circle. 3 unless it has been redesigned it uses a solid clutch disc and incorporates the shock absorbing springs in the flywheel. the old gas units have solid flywheels and have the springs in the disc.

by the way, when you build the 396 if it is an early production motor (65-66) be sure you replace the cam bearings with later ones. on the early motors the rear bearing was solid and the cam had a groove at this journal. Later models have a grooved bearing and solid cam. Most aftermarket cams are the later style. if you mix them you will have either no oil pressure or no oiling to the lifter galley

A small block flywheel will fit on a big block. The flywheel currently on my 427 was on a 305 mule motor while I built the big block and it uses a larger 13" clutch. Try and use a flywheel with a 11" clutch if possible. That and 11-7/8" are the biggest passenger style clutches you can get that'll work nicely. Try and get flywheel and starter that are supposed to go together as different size flywheels will have different tooth counts and required different offset starters. Don't fret, there's only a few.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Thanks everybody,
    I know about the 128 teeth/staight across bolt starter and the 152 teeth/slanted bolt starter thing. I forgot about the one piece rear seal change. I had heard I would have to machine the '66 block to take a new cam, thanks for the bearing swap info. I'll just order bearing for say a '82 454, it will probably be a cheaper set just because even though everything will be the same.

The clutch from the 6.5 has springs in it. The flywheel is solid and it bolts right up the the back of my 396. I do not see any external weights on it though. I had planned to use an 11" clutch whether I had to buy new or use the one from the 6.5. Thanks again.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The flywheel I put on my 6.2 diesel was solid and the clutch disk had springs in it. If I remember right, if you look at the back side of the flywheel, the castings are thicker in some areas which may be the above mentioned balancing. I was told it would not work on a gas engine because of the balancing issue. I've also been told that the pressure plate and clutch disc are interchangeable with the gas engines, although the diesel version may have heavier springs. Some 6.2/6.5's had one piece flywheels and others had the two piece with the springs.

Rollie

Rollie, is that your truck?if so where did you find alloy wheels to fit a m715?

Dave,

Actually the blue truck shown in my avatar is an M715 body sitting on a Chevy chassis. 3/4 ton Suburban, 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Corp 14 rear, Corp 10 front (hoping to be a Dana 60 front soon).

My other truck also in the picture has stock axles with a 6.2 diesel bolted to the original tranny with an Advance adapter.

Rollie