Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRAP cobra seat install.

Default MRAP cobra seat install.

So i picked up some MRAP seats locally. I had to do a bit of work to mount them the way I wanted. Modified the stock seat bases with some cross bars and welded in bolt bungs. After I put the drivers side in I realized I had no leg room to the steering wheel. So I went about fitting a smaller wheel. I have power steering so your grandma could steer this. I took the stock splined hub out of the stock wheel and machined an extension I could thread to fit a wheel and welded it together. I also machined the new wheel with a bigger center hole and new bolt pattern so the wheel registered on the center of the hub and I could still install the hub nut. Added some 12 point aircraft bolts from my work, and a delrin sleeve to slip over the steering column and hide the guts. It was a lot of extra machining. After that I realized the seat was still too high. I'm 6'2" so leg room has always been an issue for me.
    My head was too close to the roof though and I couldn't see out the side window without ducking my head. So I cut the seat base tubes down 2 inches. Moched up, the seat, tacked and rewelded the mounting feet. Good as new and the seat height and leg room is perfect for me now. Now to do the passenger side.
    Last edited by AHood; May 28th, 2018 at 12:33 AM.

Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

More

Last

How comfy are they? Do you have a local source with a good price? I keep bouncing between those and Corbeau...Thanks!
    Is that real money?

Quote Originally Posted by ray steadward View Post
    How comfy are they? Do you have a local source with a good price? I keep bouncing between those and Corbeau...Thanks!
    Depends what you consider a good price. These seats are not cheap or easy to get a hold of. I paid $1000 for the pair. Bought them in Bangor Maine. I believe the guy has another set. As for comfort they are not soft. And they have very little bounce. I've yet to drive the truck more than about 45 min non stop so I can't say for sure how they will be over long distances. My feeling is a 2-3 hr trip might wear on you. I'll probably look for a thin pad to sit on if I road trip it much. The seats do fit me well though and they have nice back support.
    Last edited by AHood; May 28th, 2018 at 11:29 PM.

I put a set of these in my M1009. I had alot of the same issues. Making mounting brackets, proper height and fit. But I find them to have alot better support than the original seats, not soft but comfortable. I found a local guy that had bought 4 for a crew cab project that fell through and bought 2 from him. They show up on ebay from time to time, but are heavy so shipping would be expensive.IMG_1165.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a set of mastercraft or corbeau suspension seats will be much more comfortable.
    I mounted the mrap seats in my 715 and took them back out a month later. I had them on stock frames and they were taller than stock which just made it harder to see out the side windows. And the seats are not very soft.

On the other hand, the mastercraft suspension seats mounted on hummer seat bases work great. I have driven the truck on a couple of multi-hour trips. The suspension seats take some of the stiffness out of the normal 715 ride.

I'm leaning toward Procar All Terrain Suspension seats here...

67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

The total width of the seat is critical. Anything over about 21" won't fit between the battery box and door frame.