Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifter adjustment. Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminc914 View Post
    Here are a couple of pics of the engine. Is this a stock motor? One of the valves seems very noisy, and the engine seems to run a little rich, but it idles perfect and always starts right up even without a choke.
    I was told to use Rotella 15W40. I like the oil and I used it in my H1 Hummer, but the plaque on the dash recommends 30W.
    Mine ran like coal-rolling rich when I got it on the road, which wasn't surprising for a low-altitude truck here at 5200'. After rejetting, it runs much better.

I run 15-40 Amsoil in mine, which gives me added peace-of-mind on hot summer days.

Admittedly it has been a few years since my truck was stock. However, my rockers clacked like crazy when I first got the truck. Being a solid lifter sports car guy and self proclaimed SBC tuner. I just knew the rockers were loose.

I didn't want to sling oil everywhere so I pulled the valve cover and gave all 12 rocker nuts a quarter turn tighter just on general principles. Figuring that would let me know which end of the engine the really bad ones were. I put the cover back on and fired it up to much worse clacking. OOOPS! The tighter they are, the louder they are.

Doing it by the book is best. However, I have yet to see a home made oil shield for the timing chain that actually kept the oil from going everywhere with great velocity. There have been several very creative attempts posted about here in the past too.

Engine off with a feeler gauge is best but I at least still had one or two stubborn ones when I did it that way. A quarter turn loose once they were all set with the feeler gauge on the loud ones solved the issue. Amazingly enough once I set them. They stayed set for the next 10,000 miles of daily driving over a few years.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Supporting the above, I hot-rodded a Chrysler 225 CID six cylinder engine. They have solid lifters, push rods etc. I put a Racer Brown cam in the engine. Massive amounts of head work, Buick 400 valves etc. I adjusted the valves one time, ran the engine for a few months and then adjusted them again. They stayed quiet and never needed another adjustment.